S-10 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 94, v6 s-10 LS...
Recently my a/c started smelling like burnt rubber and a syrup combination?
I took to the local auto shop, they sprayed some chemical stuff through the a/c vents and stuff but the smell came back the next day... i took it back, for free they looked it over again and this time cleaned out the bottom of the a/c unit or something and got rid of all the debree and dirt and stuff and cleaned it out with bleach.
Now my truck smells like bleach but now the smell is onyl there when you move the temperature gauge up twards the warmer side... (the round dial, with the blue to red on it, incase youre not following along). when it is on the coldest setting it is fine, and when it is on heat its fine. but if i move the dial just a fraction off maximum coldness the smell comes through strong as hell.
anyone have the same problem or have some ideas of what the problem is? i need to some help with this one

LD
 
G

·
hmmm..i know you can get mold on your evaporator....there si some stuff..you can get to spray on it...that will kill the mold and all....i can get you a price on it from work if you want....that is the only thing i can think of man..but ..i think i know the smell...some of the caddy at work have had similar problems
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks you two
they already sprayed some stuff through the a/c vents but it didnt fix the problem, the auto show i went to said they would try that right off from the start.

the heater core? please enlighten me on that.

i found out it stinks more when i accelerate, i am taking it back in to the shop for the weekend. i'll mention the heater core to the mechanic dude... maybe he can check that out today

pewter01, gimme some more info on the possible heater core leak, like how it might have happened, just getting old or would it have to get damaged by something etc.

kenny brown: the stuff they sprayed through my a/c cost about $45 dollars a bottle, makes the a/c smell like chlorine for a day or so, is this the same stuff you are talking about?

thanks, i'll let you know any more developments
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,105 Posts
Well it's basically like a little radiator. That is where you heater get's its heat from. It's not uncommon for them to start leaking and they are usaully a PITA to change. See if the smell is worse on the passenger side floor.
 

·
Deadbeat
Joined
·
1,331 Posts
my step dads blazer heat core leaked and the smell was almost overwelming....usually when it leaks and you turn on your defrosters it will cover the windshield with a nasty film....
 

·
I rape little boys
Joined
·
1,329 Posts
nope this stuff is made by General Motors......what happens is you will get bacateria build up on the surface of your evap. core and wind the air blows through the evap core..along come the smell..this stuff....you spray directly on the evap core while the a/c is on and it takes like 5 minutes and it coats the evap for to keep kill bacteria and to keep it from building up again...yea..the heater core thing...sound more like it though..i have also seen where rats or mice have gotten in ppls blower motors and make a nest and **** all in it and all...and that will smell real nice too..lol...but..i don't know so many possibilites..but i hoep i have given you somethings to check
Later
Kenny
oh p.s. cynicx is right when you put on the defroster...it will usual..put a heavy film on the windshiled from the antifreeze.......and like pewter said think of a heater core..as a littler radiator said....it is located hmm..about glove box side behind the dash....and umm..yea...what happens is when you turn it to heat and the heater control valve allows antifreeze to flow through the heater core.....the the blower mootor blows air across the heater core picking up the heat as it passes through...it is the basically the same priciple with a/c except...the way it becomes cold is a bit complicated..
Later
Kenny
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hey, thank ALOT you guys
i brought my truck in this afternoon, mentioned the heater core, and the dude first off asked if there was ever film on the window, and there has been for about a month before the smell started, i thought it might have been cause of this rain-x **** i used cause my window got wet like only 10 minutes after i put it on so i thought i ****ed up my window or something.
anyway, they checked out my heater core and it is no good! so hopefully this will fix it! thanks alot for your help, saved me lots of time! you guys rock!
if the smell continues i'll let you guys know i get my truck back on monday so we'll see then
thanks agian, you people were a HUGE help!
and yes the smell is worse on the passenger side, the mechanic dude looked at that when i told him about the film on the window
**** you guys were right on the dot with the info, thanks alot, i'm forever greatful, back to the new car sent hopefully!

rock on
LD
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
alright, little late, but i got my truck back monday. no more smell! YAY! now back to upgrading...
thanks again for your help guys, very much appreciate it
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Top