S-10 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, i had a problem with my rear springs being too weak on my truck, i started shaving rubber when i loaded a couple friends in the backs. i replaced the rear springs with some "stock" springs, i think he sold me 4X4. Anyways, i am wondering if any of you knew how to stiffen the rear springs or if it isnt the springs at all but the shocks? A little rake looks good but 15 degrees is outrageous. any help would be deeply appreciated

·
s-series #2?
2004 Blazer ZR2 w/ nv3500, 5.3 LM4 swap
24,783 Posts
um.. get the zq8s back on and find skinnier friends..
shaving rubber? as in tire hits?
what size tire?

·
s-series #2?
24,783 Posts
um.. get the zq8s back on and find skinnier friends..
shaving rubber? as in tire hits?
what size tire? oh and airshocks are good

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yea the tire was rubbing the lip on the inside of the wheel well. , it wasnt gringing the tread, but the sidewall of the tire. They were stock i think 235/55r16. But would i need to repace the leaf springs or do they never go bad?

·
s-series #2?
24,783 Posts
i wouldnt say they never go bad... but it does take a bit to get them to wear...
stock wheels too?
id say thats a backspacing issue... but i dunno zq8s...
i woulda thought the rears tuck stock too

·
Registered
137 Posts
that sounds funny, my sonoma has the zq8 suspension and i have had the rear axle on the bump stop and never had any issues with the tires hitting anything and its got a 2 inch drop on it with factory zq8 rims and 235/55r16 tires. my truck has had roughly 1400 pounds in the bed at one point and i hauled a 96 lt1, two tires(for spares), rad support, and a crap load of military gear from new jersey to kansas(little over 1300 miles) and yeah it rode on the bump stops and made it with no problems. and i do believe the shocks are the originals.

·
The Dave Inc.
11,720 Posts
dude i ran a 255/55/16 on my ZQ8 with a 3" block and barely if ever scuffed sidewall with a load, but after awhile my stock shocks wore out bad and now i run belltech shocks and factory sized tires and even when ive had friends in and was axle on frame i didnt scrape my sidewalls...id make sure shits not outta whack

·
Thanks For Your Support
3,647 Posts
Dude, Did both sides scrape the tires or just one? I ran into a problem on my xtreme dime when I dropped it 2" but only on the left side. I have stock tires and wheels to. 16x8----235/55/16 My problem is the rear is sitting 1/2" to the left. That's all it takes to rub when the body "rolls" going around a left hand corner. I'm going to replace spring and shackle bushings to see if it cures it. But if you are rubbing on both sides thats not your problem. Good luck!:dunno:

·
Never Finished
1,599 Posts
The rear end is offset to the left, that's why they rub the left side...another one of those S10 quirks like the infamous lean.

·
Thanks For Your Support
3,647 Posts
The rear end is offset to the left, that's why they rub the left side...another one of those S10 quirks like the infamous lean.
Well now I don't think thats the case with mine. Yesterday we took very precise measurements with what my bodyman son in law calls a $1000.00 ruler. The frame was perfect before and after the axle. However, the rear- end did measure offset to the drivers' side 9 mm. The right shackle was bent toward drivers' side and the left was bend slightly. Hum... We took a 10 ton port-a-power and pushed between the left frame rail and the mount for the hop shock. (finally a use for the hop shock mount) After 3 attemps it centered up within 1mm. (He said 4mm was within spec) I was pretty happy.
Now the history of this truck makes some since. When I got it (it's an xtreme) it had some cheap 15" tires and wheels on. No 16' xtreme wheels! I found it on a lot and just figured they just sold the wheels. My suspicion now is that the truck had been slide sideways into a curb damaging the RR wheel and bending the shackles. Rather than pay for a new xtreme wheel, may have sold the other 3 and put cheap ones on. As good a guess as any I guess. It's fine now and cost $0 to fix. Carfax showed only regular services, (for what that's good for)
:D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts