S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need some help on the process of swapping a 6.0 and a 4l80 in my 99 single cab Sonoma.
Any step-by-step links out there?

·
Been there Done it
8,184 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
2wd?
Best advice I can give to start with is read everything in the LS section of the forum. It's all there , but no one has done a complete step by step because everyone does it a little different.
For example, I think a 4L80E is more than you need for a light single cab truck. I'm going to do my LQ9 6.0 with a built 4l60E. Gm used that combo in the Escalade, which is heavier by a bunch, and I don't recall hearing of any disproportionate number of trans failures. To each his own.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Welcome to the forum.
2wd?
Best advice I can give to start with is read everything in the LS section of the forum. It's all there , but no one has done a complete step by step because everyone does it a little different.
For example, I think a 4L80E is more than you need for a light single cab truck. I'm going to do my LQ9 6.0 with a built 4l60E. Gm used that combo in the Escalade, which is heavier by a bunch, and I don't recall hearing of any disproportionate number of trans failures. To each his own.
I haven’t decided on the 4l80 completely. So I can bolt a 4l60 to a stock 6.0? I wanted to build a 5.3 but it’s out my budget so that’s why I was thinking 6.0 combo. Will a stock 5.3 be just as good?

·
NVRBDUN
917 Posts
I am building a 99 Sonoma with a 6.0/4L80 combo also. From what I have read the trans will fit the tunnel with a little clearancing. I folded over the pinch weld lip around the tunnel at the bottom of the firewall.
I haven't got the drivetrain out of the donor yet but I can tell you with regard to fuel systems, if your vehicle is a 2.2 non flex fuel you will not be able to just swap in a flex fuel pump module. They are clocked different and do not drop in the non flex tank. You can get a flex fuel tank if you can find one.
I bought a Quantum 255LPH in tank pump that I am swapping into my stock fuel pump module. I also bought the AN fittings, braided line and a vette filter/regulator.

I bought a CPW direct fit harness that will allow me to control all of the factory electronics using the LS ecu.CPW Harness They are pricey but IMO worth it.
I also bought the Trans Dapt engine swap in a box kit from Summit. Swap Kit

Definitely read the stickies and look at build threads. There is a ton of great info on this site.

·
Been there Done it
8,184 Posts
I haven’t decided on the 4l80 completely. So I can bolt a 4l60 to a stock 6.0? I wanted to build a 5.3 but it’s out my budget so that’s why I was thinking 6.0 combo. Will a stock 5.3 be just as good?
As long as it's a LS style 4L60E. They are different than the S10 4L60E. Bellhousing length, input shafts, etc.
One out of 99 up fullsize or LS SUV will work.
NO, I don't think a 5.3 is as good as a 6.0. Lot less torque and depending on the version of the 5.3 probably less HP in stock trim. Both can be hopped up to more, but with the 6.0 you're starting with more. On the other hand there are a lot of 5.3 S10's around and they're fun.
One of my favorite videos:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
First thanks for the help so far.

I’ve decided to do the 6.0 swap. I’m going to try and get a 2500 express van drive train from the junkyard. I saw in the video that the radiator is pushed forward some into the support. Any way around that?
And what about the driveshaft? I saw the crossmember kit already and will probably do that. Will the transmission sit in the same spot?

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Might be able to avoid recessing the radiator into the core support if you run Corvette accessories. They stick the least forward of all the options. The truck/van accessories stick out the most and will be very hard to fit everything without moving the radiator forward if you stick with those.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You think u could get by with an electric water pump and some electric fans rather than cut the support?

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
As long as it's a LS style 4L60E. They are different than the S10 4L60E. Bellhousing length, input shafts, etc.
One out of 99 up fullsize or LS SUV will work.
NO, I don't think a 5.3 is as good as a 6.0. Lot less torque and depending on the version of the 5.3 probably less HP in stock trim. Both can be hopped up to more, but with the 6.0 you're starting with more. On the other hand there are a lot of 5.3 S10's around and they're fun.
One of my favorite videos:
I had to watch again to make sure the seat belt stayed secured

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
You think u could get by with an electric water pump and some electric fans rather than cut the support?
I was assuming an electric fan in my thoughts above. Good electric fans aren't super compact as they do need a certain amount of area on the blade and some of that comes with depth. They're better than a mechanical fan usually, but you're already tight on space in the S10 engine bay with the V8.

I'm also not so sure most electric water pumps are much more compact than mechanical. Still need to have an electric motor hanging off the front of the pump.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I was assuming an electric fan in my thoughts above. Good electric fans aren't super compact as they do need a certain amount of area on the blade and some of that comes with depth. They're better than a mechanical fan usually, but you're already tight on space in the S10 engine bay with the V8.

I'm also not so sure most electric water pumps are much more compact than mechanical. Still need to have an electric motor hanging off the front of the pump.
Thanks for that. Now to the oil pan. I doubt I can get mine fabricated so what do I look for that will fit the 6.0?

·
Been there Done it
8,184 Posts
Holley 302-1 or 2 pan would be the easiest. The -2 might require notching the cross member depending on engine placement.

·
( . Y . )
940 Posts
302-1 is the one you would need. It can fit without notching but you'll have to raise the front of the cab to get the engine/trans in. Most people notch the cross member for ease of installation and removal. The 302-2 is similar to the ls2 pan which absolutely requires notching of the cross member.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts