S-10 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 99 S-10 2WD with a 4.3 auto. Every once in a while it don't want to start. It cranks over good sothe battery and starter are fine, alternator checks out good too. It had always done it when the engine is cold and seems to be on a damp day. It fires and runs good and smooth for about one second then dies. and will do this over and over when tring to start it. When it dies, it don't spit or spudder. it just dies like using the key. But if I let it sit for an hour or so it will start up like nothing was ever wrong. with no check engine light or anything. It has done this about 7 times since I bought the truck new. One time after it happened I took it in for a code check and nothing came up. So once it's running everything is fine, hard to trouble shoot. I am an aircraft mechanic so I do my own work. Even though it seens to happen on a damp day I don't think it is the spark. cuz it runs so smooth when it fires up. I suspect a fuel problem cuz chevy is known for bad pumps and a bad fuel pump harness by the fuel tank,I can hear the fuel pump wine though. But someone on another web sight was talking about a security issue where the truck will start up but die right a way. I have had the security light on the dash come on a few times and go out on it's own, could there be an issue with this? Sorry for the long letter. but some times the more information the better. Thanks for any help I can get. Other wise every thing else is in good shap, it don't need a tune up. Jake

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I knew I should have put that in there. 113,000 miles, runs like new, chang the oil every 24,000 miles and don't burn a drop.

·
Read with your eyes -->
171 Posts
there is a module in there somewhere that acts as part of a factory 'alarm' how it gets set off is related to some indecipherable combination of opening doors, starting, locking and unlocking ect. (maybe just random) that will do exactly what you're talking about.

to get rid of it you have to take it to a REALLY good car audio/security place.

My 01 blazer still does this. from time to time.

I've found that 5 min of sitting without touching it is enough

also, if it came with factory keyless, try pressing unlock on the key fob and then waiting.

Can't hurt

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm having the same problem with my 1999 4 cyl s-10. I start it and it runs great for two seconds and dies. Turn the key off. Start it again and the same thing. Runs for two seconds and dies. Did you solve your problem? What was the cure?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts