S-10 Forum banner

99 Onyx black S10

1K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  twelvam 
#1 ·
I don't bathe my truck as much as I should, but what do you recommend for a polish that's best to bring out that shine? I will probably get a clay bar to help out as well. I still own my factory rims, so what's a good cleaner for them?

#2 ·
Damondogg said:
I don't bathe my truck as much as I should, but what do you recommend for a polish that's best to bring out that shine? I will probably get a clay bar to help out as well. I still own my factory rims, so what's a good cleaner for them?
Simple Green works pretty good, you might have to hit them with a wash mitt to get the grime off but the cleaner will loosen it up
Are you going to be polishing by hand? If so, have fun. Not only is polishing by hand really labor intensive, but on a black truck it can be a pain. Not that it can't be done, but it takes some work.
Are you planning on using off the shelf stuff?

#3 ·
LikeaRock said:
Simple Green works pretty good, you might have to hit them with a wash mitt to get the grime off but the cleaner will loosen it up
Are you going to be polishing by hand? If so, have fun. Not only is polishing by hand really labor intensive, but on a black truck it can be a pain. Not that it can't be done, but it takes some work.
Are you planning on using off the shelf stuff?
Polishing by hand is plenty of work, no doubt about that. I thought of using a buffer, then again I may take it to a detail shop. Off the shelf stuff is what I had in mind, just don't know what's the best, especially for black.

#5 ·
on my s10 i use the mothers 3 step.. takes me about 4 hours to really wax the thing but when its doen it comes out beautifully!!! big tip is make sure the truck is COMPLETELY dry. i like to use the disposible cloths from pepboys.. like $8 for a pack of 10. just take your time.. look for swirls and do a good job. a shiny black truck just makes me drool!

#7 ·
MeltingPlastic said:
on my s10 i use the mothers 3 step.. takes me about 4 hours to really wax the thing but when its doen it comes out beautifully!!! big tip is make sure the truck is COMPLETELY dry. i like to use the disposible cloths from pepboys.. like $8 for a pack of 10. just take your time.. look for swirls and do a good job. a shiny black truck just makes me drool!
I appreciate the tips, and I totally agree with you that a shiny black truck makes me slobber over myself as well.:haha:

#8 ·
Man... Hand washing black is just a nasty vicious cycle, even the pressure from your hand transfers through the microfiber towl and shows up really bad on black. I lay my hand as flat as possible, and push really hard to get the spots out, then go really lightly over it to get all the different marks out, after about 4 hours of hand polishing it looks good for the rest of the night then looks all dusty again in the morning.

But ya, shiny black truck is awesome, black isn't my fav color, but if I was going to repaint my truck I'd keep it black definetly. My clear coat is stained really bad, cloudy, water mark spots that wont come out etc, I want a buffer, maybe by taking a thin layer of clear off it'll take out some of the stains, EVERYTHING shows up on a black vehicle!

My Truck.
http://images.artwanted.com/large/23/27411_353023.JPG?SSImageQuality=Full

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.