S-10 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
P.O.S-Truck Customs
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will it work, how well will it work, and if it does infact work what parts do I need and how should I go about installing it? I have the 4L60E tranny in my 99 GMC Sonoma 2.2L

Also should I change the Tranny Fluid when doing this? And should I have a tranny shop do this install for me? (I'm not familiar with this tranny really)

THANKS, truckin

·
Afterhours Admin
27,121 Posts
It will fall right into place, if you buy the servo off ebay or some place they will provide you with instructions on how to install it. It goes on the pass side of the tranny, theres a round spring loaded plate. You have to pry against this plate to relieve tension on the snap ring, then get snap ring pliers in there to remove it. Once you release tension the plate will come out along with the stock servo and such. Its easiest to do with the tranny in the truck on a lift, because theres more things to pry against. I think they make a tool to hold pressure against it but I would get a tranny shop to do it before I went and bought the tool.

·
P.O.S-Truck Customs
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Part Number?

When I buy this:

How much will it be?

Should I have them change my tranny fluid or anything else?

Where to buy it?

And what is the part # or part description?

I'm not exactly sure how many servos are in the tranny and I want to get the right one, so THANKS to all who reply!

-truckin-

·
Registered
833 Posts
What exactly does the corvette servo do? I have heard of this but I do not know that much about trannsmissions.

·
Afterhours Admin
27,121 Posts
The vette servo has a larger surface area which increases fluid pressure mechanically. Higher pressure mean tighter shifts. I recommend it to anybody, the difference is noticeable and I hate the sloppy spongy stock shifting.

Here is an auction selling what you want. As you can see they are quite inexpensive, and come will new seals and o-rings and stuff. I dont knwo the part # from GM.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2444500779&category=33727

·
Registered
91 Posts
i have a transgo shift kit in my s10 and its better than just using the corvette servo. i have a 4l60e and for an automatic its pretty cool to be able to chirp the tires when going from 1st to 2nd. if its wet though....... the rearend gets completly fishy on you. the kit is on ebay all the time for around 90 bucks (blue box) and 105 or so black box. the only difference is that the black box comes with a video on how to install. I watched the video many many many times and when I went to do it it was exactly what they said in the video. I pulled the pan, pulled the valvebody assembly and decided that since it was about to rain id put it back together. Exactly like the video and instructions said. filled it full of new fluid (MOBIL 1 SYNTHETIC) $40. Put it into reverse and the wheel bearly spun then quit. Park.... reverse.... spin a little quit... park... reverse.... spin... quit... drive.... no spin at all. this is with the rear end on jack stands. screw it! towed... they only charged 150 to install the thing at the local transmission shop and he said i had everything in there right he didnt know what happened. they didnt reuse the fluid i paid $40 on. Generic brand probably. MY ADVICE: let a transmission shop install it cause these transmissions are to easy to mess up. their are 17 bolts holding the valve body assembly on and if u get them in the wrong spot u will lock up your transmission and have to buy a new one.

·
P.O.S-Truck Customs
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
While on ebay:D I saw this description for the vette servo:

You're looking at a NEW Corvette Servo for the 700R4 (4L60), 4L60E. This servo is a must for any performance, towing, RV/off-road application, but would be a nice upgrade for any 700R4 or 4L60E. Right away you'll notice faster and firmer 1-2 and 3-4 shifts. This servo will give your transmission 50% more apply pressure. Just what you need to keep from burning your transmission up under heavy load situations. This servo is easy to install and can be done with the tranny in the vehilce

Is it true that it also firms up your 3-4 shift also?

It can be found here: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2444500779&category=33727

Any info would be Greatly appreciated!

-truckin-

·
P.O.S-Truck Customs
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
AVTekk said:
Yes it firms up all kind of shifts..get it man! Its cheap..
AVTekk, Thanks for all your help!

I'm going to buying it soon and relpacing tranny fluid, filter/gasket, and I was wondering if anyone makes an additive for a tranny that conditions all of the parts? (like Lucas Oil or anybody)

THANKS, truckin

·
.......¯\(O_o)/¯.......
3,480 Posts
thanks for the heads up ive always heard about the vette servos but never knew you could get them so cheap, i just bought mine on ebay for 21.00 shipped....Anything has to be better then the stock, my truck switches gears strange, no power, also jerks you around when shifting...btw do you have to pull the tranny pan to install this???

·
Afterhours Admin
27,121 Posts
Dont have to pull the pan, just do what I said..your servo should come with basic instructions as well.

·
.......¯\(O_o)/¯.......
3,480 Posts
AVTekk said:
Dont have to pull the pan, just do what I said..your servo should come with basic instructions as well.
ok, thanks AVTekk..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts