S-10 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a 99 s10 4x4 runs and drive but not in good shape for a build I want to do so I found a 94 s10 4x4 lots of miles but in better shape but need a Tranmisson and we’ll my 99 has a brand new transmission could I put the 99 in the 94 and work or could I pull the harness and the computer out of the 99 and put it in the 94 and go that route. Need help please and thank you

·
Randy
603 Posts
The 99 and 94 have 2 different computer designs and locations. The 99 transmission will fit. It will need 1 or 2 modifications.
1) the manual shaft for the selector lever will need to be changed. The 94 vehicle has a short shaft because The neutral switch is inside the cab. The 99 has a long one because it has a transmission mounted neutral switch.
2) the 99 internal electrical added a solenoid. So my thought is: the added solenoid and pins T&U on the pass through connector will not align with any wires on the 94's wire harness connector. You will have to change the 3-2 solenoid from the 94 unit to the 99 so the PCM can see the correct ohms value. The best way would be to buy a new universal harness and use the 94 3-2 solenoid. You could remove your old 94 harness and solenoid and use that, but some old harnesses are very brittle and lock tabs break.

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The 99 and 94 have 2 different computer designs and locations. The 99 transmission will fit. It will need 1 or 2 modifications.
1) the manual shaft for the selector lever will need to be changed. The 94 vehicle has a short shaft because The neutral switch is inside the cab. The 99 has a long one because it has a transmission mounted neutral switch.
2) the 99 internal electrical added a solenoid. So my thought is: the added solenoid and pins T&U on the pass through connector will not align with any wires on the 94's wire harness connector. You will have to change the 3-2 solenoid from the 94 unit to the 99 so the PCM can see the correct ohms value. The best way would be to buy a new universal harness and use the 94 3-2 solenoid. You could remove your old 94 harness and solenoid and use that, but some old harnesses are very brittle and lock tabs break.
Could I pull the drive Tran and harness and computer out of the 94 and pull the 99 drive Tran and harness and computer and put it in the 94 could I do that to. To make it easier

·
Randy
603 Posts
Could I pull the drive Tran and harness and computer out of the 94 and pull the 99 drive Tran and harness and computer and put it in the 94 could I do that to. To make it easier
All of that may make it more difficult...
Again the PCM's for each vehicle are in two different locations, they are two different types and have two different style connectors.
the 99 PCM is under the hood and is a sealed unit.
the 94 is under the glove box and is not sealed and uses a PROM chip.
So yes you can pull the 99 transmission and place it into the 94 vehicle with the minor modifications i mentioned.

I am speaking of only the electrical differences. The physical mount locations may not allow this swap. @oldeerslayer would know the this information. What I do know is the 94 has a one piece case and the 99 is a 2 piece case (bolt on bell-housing design). It also has a 6 bolt TFC adapter and my have to be used. The TFC should be a 5 bolt mount for either adapter.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
can you hysically do that type of work? If yes, get to it, and enjoy.
but, what is so much nicer about the 94 that you want it? can you put the 04 body panels onto the other truck?

just curious as to why you want to do this

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
can you hysically do that type of work? If yes, get to it, and enjoy.
but, what is so much nicer about the 94 that you want it? can you put the 04 body panels onto the other truck?

just curious as to why you want to do this
Automotive parking light Tire Wheel Car Land vehicle

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
View attachment 353808
This is my 99 been ran the dog crap out and it has rebuild title to it and it had crack in the frame. And here’s the 94 in a lot better shape and clean title just high miles. I’m sas this truck
Automotive parking light Automotive side marker light Car Vehicle Grille

·
Been there Done it
12,468 Posts
The only logical way to run the 99 electrical system in the 94 would be to remove the instrument panel and every single wire on both trucks. Then put entire 99 dash and column and wiring into the 94. I did that on my 94 K1500. It's a big job for someone pretty up on auto electrical systems. Not something I'd recommend to a less experienced individual. There are some places where you'll need to plug holes in the body and some where you'll need to cut new ones. Took 3 weeks at a leisurely pace. IIRC on the S10's you'll also need to do some mods to the dash mounting points. Particularly since it's a 94 because those still used the 93 (1st gen) steering column.
More than likely you'd save time and money by simply having your 94 trans rebuilt. There is also less chance you'll have 2 unusable trucks for sale cheap on FBMP.
Sometimes it's wiser to go around a mountain than to climb straight up it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This is my 99 been ran the dog crap out and it has rebuild title to it and it had crack in the frame
The only logical way to run the 99 electrical system in the 94 would be to remove the instrument panel and every single wire on both trucks. Then put entire 99 dash and column and wiring into the 94. I did that on my 94 K1500. It's a big job for someone pretty up on auto electrical systems. Not something I'd recommend to a less experienced individual. There are some places where you'll need to plug holes in the body and some where you'll need to cut new ones. Took 3 weeks at a leisurely pace. IIRC on the S10's you'll also need to do some mods to the dash mounting points. Particularly since it's a 94 because those still used the 93 (1st gen) steering column.
More than likely you'd save time and money by simply having your 94 trans rebuilt. There is also less chance you'll have 2 unusable trucks for sale cheap on FBMP.
Sometimes it's wiser to go around a mountain than to climb straight up it.
ok that’s what I figured that would happen

1 - 9 of 9 Posts