S-10 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 98 Sonoma that was previously a 2.2/5speed and now has a 5.3/4l60e that I cant seem to fire up. I'm near the end of the swap and have finally gotten to the point where I can attempt to start it. I got it to crank but its a slow crank and sounds sluggish but wont start at all. I have been trying to figure out why it wont start, checked over my wiring and everything seems right. I have a suspicion that it could be the oil pressure switch since the fuel pump doesn't seem to prime. Also thought it was the clutch safety switch but I tried the paperclip bypass thing and it did nothing so I'm completely out of ideas of what it could be. This is my first ls swap so don't be too hard on me lol

·
Registered
103 Posts
Just starting with easy to overlook basics...
Is the battery in good shape/fully charged?
Are the battery terminals clean and tight?
Do you have a good ground going to the engine block?

The sluggish crank makes me think it's a low power issue, either due to the battery or connection issue in between causing a voltage drop.

·
Been there Done it
10,984 Posts
I've never seen an LS oil pressure sender that was tied to the starter. They are either 97-02 1 wire direct to the gauge or later 3 wire to the PCM and sent by serial data, but that doesn't work on an S10. Oil pressure is about the only gauge on an S10 never tied into serial data.
Is the engine filled with the correct amount of oil? I've seen guys forget it. So busy doing other stuff it got overlooked.
Did you ever hear the engine run before you bought it? I had an LS that turned over slow because it had a bent rod.

·
Registered
98 2.2 Extended cab, 2001 V6 Extended cab Sport Suspension, 2001 V6 Extended Cab 4x4
1,341 Posts
So first off you mention that the fuel doesn't prime. Well start there. If you are using the 2.2L pump it will start the engine but may not make enough volume to feed it at higher loads or speeds. Did you change the pump? If so did you get the ground back on right? How about the fuel pump relay? That is going to be the next place I am going to look. Make sure it's getting power and also the signal from the PCM. It should power up for about 3 seconds then shut off, powering up again when the engine cranks and runs. It will then shut off when the PCM loses the tach signal. Will the pump prime or run if you bypass the relay?

Make sure it's getting all the basics, fuel, spark and air is almost a given.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just starting with easy to overlook basics...
Is the battery in good shape/fully charged?
Are the battery terminals clean and tight?
Do you have a good ground going to the engine block?

The sluggish crank makes me think it's a low power issue, either due to the battery or connection issue in between causing a voltage drop.
The battery is new and terminals are clean too. I have it grounded to the chassis as of right now. Should I ground it to the engine block instead?

·
B4U Task Force Admin
28,443 Posts
The battery is new and terminals are clean too. I have it grounded to the chassis as of right now. Should I ground it to the engine block instead?
That's the way the factory does it.

·
Registered
103 Posts
You want a ground to the chassis for all your lighting and accessories etc,

Then you want a heavy ground to the block specifically for starting and charging, as well as just general engine operation

1 - 9 of 9 Posts