S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
NO H-body, New Dime
2,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
for all you guys out there with a 98+ that have changed the seats or had them out for whatever reason.....how did u get the bolt out that has the alan/hex tool needed for it. There are 3 bolts and the other (the back one closest to the console with the plastic cover on it) has a bolt with an alan tool needed to get it out. That thing must be on there with airplane glue or something cause I used a hex and a hammer and couldn't get it out...any help!? I am waiting to get my brackets off cause I got cavi seats to put in. Thanks in advance!
Scott

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
there was a thread on this a few weeks ago, try heating the bolt up from underneath the truck, when i took mine out, my drivers seat came right out, the passenger side i broke 3 t-50 torx head bits on it and said **** it, got out the air chisel, chiseled a groove in it and then used the groove to work the bolt out, couldn't get it out any other way, breaker bars just broke the bits, and heat didn't help mine, but try heating it, if that dont work i'm sure somebody else has some ideas, but as a last resort, use the air chisel, a new bolt costs 3 bux from gm, so it's not a big deal to ruin the head with a chisel to get it out, good luck

·
Ford Lightning Owner
5,875 Posts
Join the seat belt bolt club!

That is the tighest bolt on the whole truck. I broke 3 torgue bits and it didnt move, tried an impact didn't work!

I was told to use a breaker bar with a 4' pipe on the end.

I got the breaker bar today and new torque bits. I am going to try again on Thursday.
I'll let you know!

·
NO H-body, New Dime
2,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
man you guys have got to be kidding me....I did a search and looks like a lot of people have this problem. Man gm BLOWS! I hate their designs. If you guys figure out a solution please let me know by Friday! Thanks

·
NO H-body, New Dime
2,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
is a cheater pipe like a breaker bar? How much are those and what is up with using a 4 FOOT pipe to break it? Man my allen wrench is like 4 inches long d*mn it!

·
Ford Lightning Owner
5,875 Posts
Got-20z said:
not to whore this thread but samandjen1... when you bought your envoy bumper cover how long did it take to get it... mine should have been shipped and they still havent.. kinda wondering how long somebody else's took from gmpartsdirect...
thanks
a little over a week

·
Ford Lightning Owner
5,875 Posts
NP

It will show up when you don't expect it to . Don't go by gmpartsdirect web site they seem to be behind all the time. I got all my parts way before the web site even said the parts were shippped!

A lot of the parts are shipped from various GM dealers and not the one in Michagan where gm....parts is at.

·
Fully Bagged Member
334 Posts
I didnt have any problems with getting my bolts loose. Just used a 8" ratchet and got some leverage, came loose first try

·
Registered
45 Posts
On a different thread, somebody reported welding a nut to the bolt head. Sounds kind of extreme but I considered the same thing since I had removed my bench seat and carpet. Three bolts broke loose using pretty good effort with a cheater pipe but the fourth bolt had me awfully worried. Cheater pipe finally worked once I got into the right position to use leverage. Torx bit is shot.

·
I'm a freaking ninja!
32 Posts
I just took my seats out this weekend for a stereo install. I admit it was tough, but no hammers used at all. Regular old 3/4 ratchet with the torx bit in it, some muscle, and that was it. Came right out. Suprised me since the other bolts were so easy in comparison. No broken bits, no stripped bolt. I think you guys need to hit the gym ;)

·
work in progress
2,628 Posts
just use some muscle strength, lol. No, but seriously, the bolt needs a T50 Torx Bit t o take that bolt out. Its looks like an allen key, but it is different. If you use an allen key, you are just going to strip out the bolt and then you will be really fuked. Go to your local hardware store, ask for a T50 torx bit, put that on your socket wrench and use all the strength you got. Once you break the seal, they come off fast as hell.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts