S-10 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just bought a '98 2.2l 5spd to put a 350 in it. Now im no mechanic but i think i know enough to get it done. however i dont know if i did all of my homework. everyone talks about doing the v8 in the older body style. how about the newer styles. jtr says that the only advice they can give is to put the same year full size v8 in. do i really have to settle for that. is this project possible with a 5g budget and still pass emissions for massachusetts.

-thanks for ur help

·
More Go then Show
1,176 Posts
you can put pretty much anything in that s10 you want depending on your budget and skill.

If you have 5gs tho i would consider the following engines:
5.3l from a new style tahoe (2000 up i think) 295hp stock
LS1 f-bodys and corvette 300 or more hp to the wheels

Those above two are LSx based engines and require a bit more modifying

the vortec 350 out of 96-98? tahoes, and fullsize trucks, ect. basically the 4.3l that comes in the s10 with 2 more cylinders. Has same intake problems as the 4.3l when going over 300hp area.

Crate engines

Used engines

too lazy to type more but that should help

·
Registered
860 Posts
i would go with the 5.3. you can get complete engines for 400-1000+ used. search junkyards, ebay, classifieds ect. see if you can't find a wrecked truck at a junkyard. something you can get the engine/trans/wireing harness from. the from there other than exhaust and engine mounts its basicly a plug and go type set up. wireing the guages may take some homework but its not that hard. most people get overwelmed with wiring but its not that hard. just takes some thinking and pacients. good luck with your swap.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Don't use a corvette engine. You'll have to change quite a few more items than a camaro or firebird engine. You know how much people like to make extra bills just because they have a" corvette " engine.I would either use a 5.3 or a 5.7 but I would consider a 6.0 SUV engine if the price was right. Good Luck!!

·
Registered
860 Posts
theres no differance between an ls1 vette engine and an ls1 camaro engine.

·
resident bmx prick
444 Posts
THEKING said:
ya the serpantine(sp?) is different.
yeah, but other than that, they are the exact same....

probably more resonable to find one out of a camaro though... should find one for cheaper... you just dont get the sweet corvette lettering and such.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Morgen said:
yeah, but other than that, they are the exact same....

probably more resonable to find one out of a camaro though... should find one for cheaper... you just dont get the sweet corvette lettering and such.

that and the junkyard guys don't really know shit so they'll think "corvette, lets charge him double" :haha:

·
Premium Member
1,872 Posts
But you'l need the Corvette accessories to fit in the truck, so why not get them to start with if you can? Then you just swap the Throttle Body and go.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
sounds good thanks, has anyone bolted up a manual trans. to a 5.3, i'm gonna do a stick trans no matter what motor i need

·
Registered
860 Posts
cng426 said:
sounds good thanks, has anyone bolted up a manual trans. to a 5.3, i'm gonna do a stick trans no matter what motor i need
id go NV3500 or T56 thats really the only other option other than the t5's out of the camaro but those can't handle the power of a 350.

·
AVTekk is my HERO
1,232 Posts
motorhawg said:
Don't use a corvette engine. You'll have to change quite a few more items than a camaro or firebird engine. You know how much people like to make extra bills just because they have a" corvette " engine.I would either use a 5.3 or a 5.7 but I would consider a 6.0 SUV engine if the price was right. Good Luck!!
thats why you buy an LT1/LS1 (1-6) motor and dont search for "Corvette engine"

1 - 13 of 13 Posts