S-10 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought this 1998 single cab s10 and the wires that run to the AC compressor were cut away from the wiring harness. I've tested the compressor and it works just fine. The problem is that where I had it jumped to can't sustain it. Puts too much of a load on the system. Where is the best place to splice the wires back into the wiring harness so that it will function as it should. Keep in mind that I'm on a tight budget and can't afford to take it to a mechanic to have it rewired. I also don't want to have to tear everything down to wire it in. What are my options, or do I even have any?

·
B4U Task Force Admin
26,121 Posts
Kind of ironic that you posted your AC question in the Flame Em All section...lol. vYour best bet would be to hook them back up where they belong. You might have to peel the covering on the wires back to find the cut wires.

BTW....m moved to Heating,Airconditioning.

·
Been there Done it
9,498 Posts
You will need to get the correct connectors.
Which ones are cut off?
A/C Clutch Switch Connector
A/C Compressor Clutch Coil Connector
A/C Compressor Connector
A/C Compressor Diode Connector - be sure to connect the diode in the right direction.
There are also low and high pressure switch connectors.

Also it shouldn't be drawing that much current since the AC fuse under the hood is only 10amps.

Post some decent sized pics so we can see what you have. Which engine?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm not a mechanic or an electrician by any means. I've looked up wiring diagrams but don't really understand them. In other words, I know I'm an idiot. Lol. Believe me, if I could afford to take to a professional, I would in a heartbeat. I appreciate any and all advice. Thank you guys for the input. Hopefully these pics will help you help me understand what needs to be done.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh and also, I tried looking for any cut wires by peeling back the conduit of every wire group around the compressor but couldn't find anything that had been cut or spliced. I traced the conduit back to the relay box but i don't even see the same color wires in the conduit running to the relay that's supposed to be for the AC. I read online that these systems are color coded. So shouldn't I be seeing the same color green and black wire running to the relay?

·
Been there Done it
9,498 Posts
Here is the 1998 2.2L A/C wiring diagram. I have pointed out the wires you have. Don't pay any attention to the other ones. As you suspected the power wire, the dark green, goes to the A/c relay in the under hood electrical center. The black wire goes to ground on the block. Both are connected to the engine harness 8" from the compressor.
They are also supposed to have a diode linking them to each other to prevent arcing.
If you can't find them in the harness, they really are there, you can simply ground the black one to the engine block with an eyelet under any bolt. Then connect the dark green to the dark green wire coming out the bottom of the A/C relay. It should work normally. As soon as possible then add the diode between them making sure the arrow on the diode points the same way as in the diagram.
It would be a good idea to solder and shrink wrap the connections. If you haven't soldered before, find some nerd who has to help you.

·
Registered
292 Posts
my buddy and i just started tearing his 98 down for a swap i'll try to get pics of the harness see where the wires come out from for ya, don't know if i'll make it there today but in the next two days ill be over.

·
Been there Done it
9,498 Posts
Sorry about the typo. I meant "find a nerd to help you". Not one that "WHO HAS" to help you.
Pretty tired when I typed that.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you so much OLDEERSLAYER and yes, JUNTAO_DW pictures would be awesome, but the diagram really helps. With that, I'll take a look again tomorrow and see if I can get it going. I really appreciate all the help guys.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Please take proper care of your HVAC systems. I just had a decent technician over for the weekend. Valera even took a trip to get the right parts and come back to finish the job with the radiators. So grateful I met him - if I ever need future services, I know who I'll be calling so make sure you know your technician well.

·
B4U Task Force Admin
26,121 Posts
Link removed...will be watching.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts