S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Working Hard at Life
877 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

411 Speedway – Seymour, TN just outside Pigeon Forge, TN

March 3rd ran with the Porsche Car Club. I think I placed around 22 out of 44.
March 4th ran with the Ford SVT Cobra club. I placed 11th out of 41 !!!
Unfortunately, this was the last event at 411 before they changed it to a dirt track. It was my favorite event location and was always a fast course.

411 Speedway - 3/8th mile, 18 degree banked turns....
CLICK on VIDEO to VIEW:

I hit around 68-71 MPH in these videos.

2007 SCCA EVENT Results:

Event One: Adesa – Lenoir City, TN
3rd out of 19 – Novice Class

Event Two: Bristol Motor speedway – Bristol, TN
1st out of 15 – Novice Class.
My first 1st place ever!

Event Three: Oak Ridge, TN
2nd out of 21 – Novice Class

Event Four:
Missed

Event Five: Motor speedway – Bristol, TN
3rd out of 22 – Novice Class
(Beat two Dodge Vipers, 3 C5 Corvettes, 2 350 Z’s, ect.)

I’ll try and keep this updated throughout the rest of the season. This is the first year I have ever placed in the top 3, but so far I have placed in the top three in every event! Unfortunately, I can’t run novice next year – or if I win two more events this year.

Tires:
Fronts: Kuhmo V710s 225/50/16s
Rears: Nitto Drag Radial 555R 245/50/16

Suspension:
2" Belltech drop, Polyurethance bushings

Brakes:
Front: Factory single piston calipers, hawk pads, SS lines, Brembo 10.5" Slotted Rotors
Rear: Stock Drums, SS lines
Synthetic Fluid

Any questions - let me know. It's still a learning curve for me as well, but it's a lot of fun and I have impressed several ppl along the way. It's not everyday you can get the chance to beat up on sports cars in a v6 truck.

·
Gone but not forgotten.
889 Posts
gotta love the first pic :)

·
Working Hard at Life
877 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
gotta love the first pic :)
Believe it or not there is a cone behind my rear tire that I must have missed by just an inch or so. It was laying right where the road and grass meet. Getting the rear to swing out is rare with the DRs on it so I'm glad I got a photo of it.

·
Gone but not forgotten.
889 Posts
great idea with the drag radials, I could kill two birds with one stone there. Now if I can find a third set of these aluminums...:rolleyes: or some ZQ8s

·
Registered
591 Posts
looks good man, what class are you in for SCCA SOLO?

·
Gone but not forgotten.
889 Posts
Looks like he is in E/SP same as me, by the pics, just he gets to run in Novice for the first year. I ran GS until they saw how well I did and then they seriously looked over the truck and moved me way up. Oh well, I'm just out there to play and show what trucks can do.

·
Working Hard at Life
877 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
great idea with the drag radials, I could kill two birds with one stone there. Now if I can find a third set of these aluminums...:rolleyes: or some ZQ8s
Most ppl can't get away with the DR's, but the light weight rear end of the truck allows me to do so. For those that don't know, a DR is typically a soft sidewall, soft rubber compound which is great for drag racing, but not cornering. Since most of my weight is on the front of the truck, the sidewalls of the rear tires stay somewhat stiff and the sticky rubber keeps the rear in check most of the time.

I run the DRs on the street, strip, and autocrosses. The tread wear is great (for a DR), performance is wonderful, and they even ride good in the rain. I have been VERY pleased with this tire and it allows me to only need to run autocross tires in the front.

As for my class, I am running ESP. Technically, I should be HSP but there is no 'H' class in the Street Prepared classes so 'E' it is. Unfortunetly, with my future plans I will be bumped to SM - they the local guys in SM run a full 1.5-2 seconds quicker than I do currently.

The two biggest things with autocrossing is this:
tires
driver skills.

When I first started I was a good 2-3 feet off the cones - especially during slaloms.....now I'm inches. Knowing how wide you vehicle truely is makes a huge difference. Get as much seat time as you can and that will be 1/2 of it.

·
Working Hard at Life
877 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
badass man, check my thread out, i could use your input

http://www.s10forum.com/forum/f30/project-carving-corners-305953/
I took a quick look at your thread. Unfortunetly the 2.2L is really going to limit you but here is where I suggest putting your $ without draining the wallet:

1.) ZQ8 Sway bars - Polyurathane bushings and end links
2.) Good brake pads - switch to synthetic fluid to help against boiling the brake fluid (those single piston calipers get hot quick)
3.) Most important - tires. Give me some specs on those you mentioned in your thread. Use high psi (say 48 fronts, 44 rears)
4.) Get used to the truck - seat time is very, very important. I beat up on sports cars all the time and it's not b/c the truck is set-up better, it's b/c I know the way the truck rides and I'm a better driver than most.
5.) Lower it a few inches and get a good alignment.

I would also suggest you get the engine in its sweet spot and try and keeping it there. If you fall below the sweet spot, its going to take a while to get your speed back up with a small amount of torque the 2.2L makes.

I would also suggest you start racing ASAP even if all your mods are not complete. Make sure you like it before you put more time and money into it. As I said before, this will also give you more seat time and give you a chance to polish your driving skills.

Good luck.
Derek.

1,284 Posts
wow thats amazing!! i would love to do that one day. thats cool you beat out alot of them sports cars!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Do you think a blazer with a 2inch drop do good in autocross? It looks really really fun and I would love to try it. But Blazers have terrible body roll so idk how good it would be.

·
s-series #2?
2004 Blazer ZR2 w/ nv3500, 5.3 LM4 swap
24,783 Posts
Do you think a blazer with a 2inch drop do good in autocross? It looks really really fun and I would love to try it. But Blazers have terrible body roll so idk how good it would be.
do good depends more on driver. but have fun, yes!

1 - 20 of 43 Posts