S-10 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I have a full four door Blazer that runs and drives I parted some of it out but like wiring harness and stuff like kept I'm currently in the process of putting the 4.3 engine transmission rear end in my 2.2 S10 as a fast speed I'm pulling all that out but the 4.3 in it only because it's blowed up and I use my truck for pretty much 6 days a week working is there anything I would have to modify to swap the two

·
Been there Done it
11,874 Posts
Your question is pretty hard to read w/o caps, punctuation, and proof reading. Click edit (right click 3 dots in upper right corner) and make it readable. I have no idea what a "fast speed" is!
If one is a 5 speed and he other automatic you're in for a major project. Not to mention needing a 4.3 trans.
The harder it is to know what you're asking, the less answers you'll get.
I know a 2wd oilpan won't work in a 4wd, but I'm not sure about a 4wd pan into a 2wd. It might hit the crossmember. In which case you'll need both a 2wd pan and the oil pump pickup tube.
You might need to replace the exhaust with 1998 2wd pickup parts and they can be real expensive.
98 Blazer computer won't work in a 2001. You may have to swap instrument panel as well as all wiring forward of it. You have to essentially turn the pickup into a 98 electrically.
Don't know if the rad will fit the support or if you'll also need to change them.
I think before you're done you'll wish you had simply sold the 4.3 and bought an 01 2.2.
You could easily end up with 2 parts vehicles.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Both are 2wd .I have a full parts truck with harness and motor and trans computer every thing I need to do the swap. I was just wondering if I had to modify anything.

·
Been there Done it
11,874 Posts
No cutting, welding, or fabrication needed. Just a whole bunch of parts switching to essentially build a 98 pickup. Pretty much everything in front of the seats has to be swapped. It'll be easier if you take them out first.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
10/4 thank u the harness that goes in the firewall do u have to swap that out to or would it be easier to de pin it and re pin it with a diagram kinda like the bulk plug

·
B4U Task Force Admin
29,524 Posts
How soon people forget about punctuation... 🙄

·
Been there Done it
11,874 Posts
10/4 thank u the harness that goes in the firewall do u have to swap that out to or would it be easier to de pin it and re pin it with a diagram kinda like the bulk plug
¿Hay alguna pregunta ahí?
Since you don't want to speak English I won't either.

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
It's all doable, but like ODS is pointing out, you'll have to swap most of the electrical harnesses or be really good with schematics and electrical diagrams. I've swapped my fair share of parts on the 98+ trucks and going between 98 & 01 there are some little changes in the way they were wired that will throw you off. It will be more than a weekend project.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes I know I'm on day 4 and I still haven't got the motor pulled off the Blazer frame is sticking my truck my truck is not even halfway torn apart

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It's all doable, but like ODS is pointing out, you'll have to swap most of the electrical harnesses or be really good with schematics and electrical diagrams. I've swapped my fair share of parts on the 98+ trucks and going between 98 & 01 there are some little changes in the way they were wired that will throw you off. It will be more than a weekend project.
Thank you for the reply what do you mean on the ODS is that partially for the system itself and I know the plugs for the computer are different too so the black / green plug is for the I want to say firewall harness

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok if u have a 98 Chevy Blazer that is 4 door .And u are doing a full motor / tranny swap in a 2001 Chevy S10 extended cab. Do u have to change the 2 peace drive shaft out with the one piece ? If the S10 had a 2.2 auto?

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
ODS = @oldeerslayer

GM didn't just change wires under the hood. From 98 to 99 to 00 they also changed how the dash wiring was done. It's minor changes, but can cause headaches and unknown issues unless you are very familiar with GM schematics and pin out diagrams.

We're not necessarily trying to stop you from doing it, but wanting to point out the hurdles you have ahead.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ODS = @oldeerslayer

GM didn't just change wires under the hood. From 98 to 99 to 00 they also changed how the dash wiring was done. It's minor changes, but can cause headaches and unknown issues unless you are very familiar with GM schematics and pin out diagrams.

We're not necessarily trying to stop you from doing it, but wanting to point out the hurdles you have ahead.
Do u know we're I can find the pin outs for the 2 different ecms one is the 2 plug style and the other one is the 4 plug style blue, black ,red and ,clear I believe

·
Been there Done it
11,874 Posts
Why do you need the pin out? You'll be taking the entire engine harness with the PCM connected out of the 98 and putting it in the 01. You start messing with those 160 wires and you'll have a can of worms open.
The engine wiring diagrams for both years have the pin outs. You really need to have both before you even start.
The 2.2 computer is not compatible with the 4.3 operating system.

·
Been there Done it
11,874 Posts
Yes. I thought we covered that a while ago. It probably easiest to just swap the whole dash.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Technically it's not the dash horny it's the firewall harness that needs to be swapped out which it is done I'm starting to put the dash back in and it's been a pain in the ***

·
Been there Done it
11,874 Posts
@Harley and I, both of us know a bit about S10 wiring, seem to believe there were changes between 98 and 01 in the DASH harness. Just looking at the instrument cluster I can see at the connector A5 and B12 are different from 98 to 01. It's those little differences that are going to bite you in butt on this project.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts