S-10 Forum banner

98-99 Security Light No Start, Try This!!!

605 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  superj 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hey everyone. This is my third account because I cant remember the usernames or passwords to my previous accounts, my oldest being from prolly '07.

Anywho ive recently gotten back into the S Series world. Picked up a 98 LS Indigo Blue last summer for $300. The original motor had a stripped heliocoil for plug number 1. So i said piss on it and bought an 02 Sunfire for 200 bucks as donor car for the engine swap/conversion. Successfully pulled off that conversion, (did one similar in high school with a 96 3800 Series II Camaro..) Anywho while doing the swap i noticed i had some substantial frame rot. So i drove it to my buddies house to use his welder. It started running like **** halfway and died on me. I managed to get it started and limped the rest of the way. Melted a plug wire, fixed that and she ran fine a couole days, then started running funky again and wouldnt start. Now my sevurity light was cutting my injectors. So after a few days of scouring different forums i came across a GM TSB for our and pretty much ALL 98-99 GM Trucks. Now a little more backround on me. I have successfully kinda got around the dread GM PassKey III system on an 02 Caddy Deville that saved it from the crusher. So ive learned these security systems almost intimately. Also saved a 99 Grand Cherokee. All that was was bad grounds, and alot of teal corrosion in the Power Distribution Center, and in the two bulkhead connectors inside the kick panels. Ive actually gotten really good at electric problems with vehicles, that all was started by that ** Camaro I mentioned earlier. MAF power wire was bad and it ended up being the 12 volt supply had corroded where it spliced into the 12V fed for the other sensors right above the tranny.
I digress again gotta love ADD lol. But here I hope this may help and save someone else alot of headache, along with time and money. I performed this procedure myself, and it fixed my security light issue. Now im trying to address my P1336 CKP not learned smh. Already had to change this sensor which brokw in the process smh. Im starting to get aggravated with this truck, and am starting to wish I would have just went with a 4.8l swapafter all the time and headaches ive experienced with this truck. This is my 5th S Series. Had a 91 Syclone #2237, 94 2.2l, and two 99 ZR2 couple Blazers.

Attachments

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.