S-10 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so here's some of my issues I'm having with this '98 s10...I bought an ignition cylinder along with all lock cylinders on eBay for $20. It ran fine before and for about a hour after replacing ignition cylinder, when I turned it off I couldn't get to run again. It wil start fine run for a second then shut off. I've been reading it may be the vats system, I do not have access to anyone with capability to turn vats off.
I need to get this truck going again, it was the only reliable vehicle I have.
I do have the vin for the eBay ignition cylinder.
Any help is greatly appreciated! Thank you for your time!

'98 s10
4. 3 vortec/4l60e
Fuel pump cycles as it always has, it is a little louder.

·
Been there Done it
8,383 Posts
Any time you replace the lock cylinder on a 98 up you have to do a VATS relearn. It's a simple procedure and takes about 1/2 hour and a good battery. I usually push the e-brake down one click so the DRLs don't come on while doing the relearn.
The learn procedure is as follows:

Turn the lock cylinder all the way to the crank mode. Now let go of the key so it can return to the run position. Some vehicles may start up and stall or may not crank at all. You must leave the ignition key on for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes you will see the security light go out or just stop flashing and then go out. At this point you turn the key off for 5 seconds. After 5 seconds you turn the lock cylinder to the crank position again to repeat the same process .You must perform this process 3 times for a total of 30 minutes of wait time. On your 4th attempt the vehicle should start up and continue to run.
Place a battery charger on the battery if the battery is low on charge.
If the procedure is interrupted or the battery gets too low just start over.

·
Mr Goodwrench's Evil Twin
379 Posts
I just want to add one thing to what oldeerslayer said. It doesn't take much for the procedure to get interrupted. Something as simple as opening or closing a door can interrupt the procedure. Turn all accessories off while doing the relearn too

1 - 3 of 3 Posts