S-10 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a very nice 97 S10 regular cab 2 wheel drive short bed truck. The truck has SS badges and mirrors on it but no B4U option code. It does however have the L35 engine, ZQ8 suspension, G80 limited slip 8.5 inch rear end, with the YC3 and AM6 options. It has a gauge package but it is a M50 5 speed with a 3.08 gear ratio. The original owner stated he ordered an SS truck but wanted a 5 speed and 3.08 gears in it instead of the auto and 3.42's so that is what the dealership did. Question is wouldn't it still have the B4U option on it if that were true? It doesn't matter as I did not buy it as an SS truck, just a very nice S10 with some great options as it has plenty of zip and still gets 28 mpg. It also has 16 alloy rims that I have seen on most SS trucks and is Onyx Black. Just curious about the truck.

·
Forever breaking this S10
5,489 Posts
You got everything an SS would have, minus the trans and rear end gearing. The dealership probably added the SS badges.

28mpg is very, very doubtful. I have quite literally never seen anyone get anywhere near close to that with a 4.3 in these trucks, and people go to crazy lengths trying to squeeze MPG out of these.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have checked the mileage 3 times and I run a chassis dyno and have checked the accuracy of my speedometer on that as well at a school warning sign up the road. Numbers on the speedo have matched road speed every time so my odometer should be accurate. The best mileage I have gotten so far is 27.7 mpg but the truck only turns 2100 rpm at 70 mph. If you shift by the shift light in the dash and aren't hard on it the truck is very easy on fuel. It only turns 1600 rpm in 5th gear at 55 mph.

·
Administrator
22,623 Posts
All of the numbers don't mean anything if you fill the tank to different levels. You need to fill it to the top if the filler neck each time, then do the math. Some guys say you shouldn't fill it to the top, but I have done it for years with no ill effects. Same pump, same station.

·
SyTy Speed Shop
1,148 Posts
Basically the dealership ordered the truck with the ZQ8 suspension, and since it was a 5 speed you get 3.08 gears only, no choice there and with the V6 5 speed you get thee 8.5 axle.

Nice truck, but not a true SS, but to be honest i dont think an actual SS would be worth anymore money.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts