S-10 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 97 sonoma v6 4x4 keeps killing batteries while parked. Started with it died and wasn't charging while driving so I put a new battery and alternator in it and if it's parked for 2-3 days it completely drains the battery to nothing. I did a draw test with my meter through the battery ground cable, pulling each fuse and no difference to know where it might be coming from.
Also something weird is when I try and recharge the battery, my charger won't charge it unless I unhook the cables from battery I've noticed. Could the ground cable be bad ?
Sorry rushing to type this at work so might of left some things out. Any advice would be helpful

·
B4U Task Force Admin
29,524 Posts
'97....probably original cables and time for a change. They can look fine on the outside, but are corroded on the inside.

·
Been there Done it
11,874 Posts

·
Engineer
2003 S10 4.3L 4wd Crew Cab
96 Posts
I've had this problem for years and have yet to find a good solution. Replaced all the battery cables with 0awg. Got tired of nothing fixing it. Now I just have a separate battery pack for my solar panel and a battery isolator relay and it never dies. You might just need to leave it on a charger whenever you let it sit for a while.

·
Registered
276 Posts
A good solution is a parasitic draw test to find what circuit has the issue and fixing it.

·
Been there Done it
11,874 Posts
That's what the video in post #4 explains how to do.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts