S-10 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Damn, I think I'm in trouble. I swapped a 2.2 out of a 97 sonoma 2.2L manual, into a 96 s-10 2.2L Auto. The 97 sonoma has a crankshaft sensor, and so does the 96 S-10. But the crankshaft sensor on the 97 has a 2 pin connector, and the 96 has a 3 pin connector.

So I took the crankshaft sensor out of the 96 2.2L, and put it on the 97 2.2l. and it fits good, every plug connects now. I try to start the truck but no spark. So I think when a 96 2.2L engine goes bad, only that only year engine will work? Or is there a way around it?

·
2.2 Extremist
4,310 Posts
my only guess is you may wanna try using the cam sensor from the 96 2.2, the two sensors may be timed with each other, the 97 crank and 96 cam aren't corresponding with each other. It's just a guess, you may have some other issue, See if the plug for the coil packs is connected while your in that general area. And as far as I know, all 94-97 2.2's are the same,

·
i saw what you did there!
3,573 Posts
try the other ICM too?

probably is a ground wire or some other cause though

try looking over stuff again

matching pair of crank and cam sensors

hmm

gonna be something dumb

·
2.2 Extremist
4,310 Posts
now that I think about it, didn't they change to a different fuel injection setup in 97?? I think thats when they went to MPFI or something like that,

·
New Old Timer
378 Posts
The two motors are the same (both are SFI), but the some of the sensors are different (most notably the crank position sensor) and the ICMs are different.

If you plan to get tuned, you will need the '97 PCM and engine harness.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm doing 96 into 97 the crankcase sensors are not the same. 2 pin on the 97 $10 at o'reilly, 96 $93 and 3 pins. The hole on the 96 will not accept the 97 sensor. It is smaller in diameter. So can I cut and splice the 3 pin connector to the 2 wires on the 97? Which 2 wires would you use?

·
Registered
311 Posts
The 2 wire is a coil, the 3 wire is a halls effect, digital. A lot of failures with halls effect, so went back to coil.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hey, I know this is an old post but I was wondering if the issue of putting a 97 motor into the 96 truck was solved. I'm running into literally the same issue, I swapped the crank and cam sensors and all the wires are all connected. I actually started it and had it running for about a minute but after I turned it off I haven't been able to get it started.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts