S-10 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
This season SUCKS.
15,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Other than buying a short shifter kit, is there any way to swap out my shifter handle? Reason is, I bought an aftermarket knob, and I can't see any possible way to remove the stock knob. Plus, I don't really like the tapered fat shaft it has. Is there a shifter out of any other truck that might fit? Or, how much trouble would it be to have a piece of steel bent and machined to work???? Any help would be appreciated... I also have an 89 2.5L 5sp, will the shft handle out of that bolt into my 97? If so, great... I really like the thin style of the older shifters.

·
Gaaoooooo
13,572 Posts
The old style shifters like in your 89 might work, both the shifter you have now and the old t5 style thin shifters screw onto the transmission the same way, just not sure if the thread sizes are the same. There is no real other replacement shifter besides a short throw unit, I know they make a billet chrome shifter that you can put different knobs on but it looks exactly like your stock shifter. I would recommend a short throw shifter from either hurst or b&m, you can add most any knob you like to those. I think having a piece of steel bent and machined might cost a bit unless you have some type of connection, it would be cool to see a custom made shifter though, all you would need to do is get the correct thread size in the base or even remove the threads from the stock shifter and insert them into the custom one.

·
Squids suck
138 Posts
I put a hurst t-handle on my 97'.

I don't know of an easy way to do it without an aftermarket shifter. I had to heat up a knife to cut through the thick plastic knob because I couldn't find a way to get it off. And after I destroyed the knob I still couldn't figure out how it was intended to come off. I don't think it was.

Once I got it off there wasn't any way to mount up a new shifter knob. I mean the end isn't threaded or anything like that. I bought a universal hurst T-handle in hopes that I could make it fit. I had to fill the hollow end of the shifter with JB weld and then thread it with a threader to make the adapters for the t-handle screw into the shifter end. After that I screwed on the t-handle.

I have never seen another one like it, but if I could have found a short shifter then I would have just used it. :racing:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts