S-10 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. Brand new user, and don't know if this question belongs here but... Sorry if I seem a bit on edge, and venting a bit, but that's because I am. My truck just died, and left me stranded today. YAY! tow bill! In a nutshell, I'm fed up, sick and tired, and completely had it with having to be a dang computer technician, and track down sensors codes, wires, tubes and so much maddening mess, every time my truck hiccups. I wish I could just whip out a screwdriver and turn a simple screw, and be on my way. Rather than having to limp home and get the OBD2 tester, hook it up only to find out some weird crap I know nothing about, that requires expensive "special" tools to fix, or the draining of my paycheck just for some stupid fuel ratio issue. So, yeah I'm old-school as heck..
All I want is a carburetor, and only as many wires required to run the ignition, lights, heater, and radio. EVERYTHING else can go. I could care less about Super-mega horsepower, and unattainable fuel mileage. (It's a work truck that tows a trailer. not a road-tripper)

This is my truck: 1996, S10, 4.3/262, Vortec and automatic. 160K plus miles. This is what happened: The exhaust rotted off at the Y-pipe. Napa, Advance, Zone, Orileys, nobody seems to be able to get them. I needed the truck quickly, so I went with a dual exhaust with glasspacks, cobbled together out of bends I could find on the shelf, and some pipe and glasspacks I already had. I ran that from what was left of the y-pipe. Everything was just fine, other than the CEL came on because the Two... TWO??? (WHY TWO?) 02 sensors were now gone. Otherwise it ran fine. After about two months. The CEL began to flash. Still ran fine though. Then maybe another month goes by, and I get a random miss, like one cylinder dropped out. That slowly got worse. I changed plugs checked wires, everything was fine. I hunted and hunted looking for the injectors. Some idiot decided to put this abomination of a "spider" thing UNDER the manifold. I don't have the means to mess with all that! I need the truck, so I ran it. The miss got worse and worse. But only after the engine warmed up. When cold, it ran great. So all this computer garbage, all these stinking tubes and wires and sensors, all this modern pain in the butt amalgamation of trash is history! Now I HAVE to dump a buttload of cash into it. But If I do, I'm not putting a dime into any computer crap. I'm going old-school and simple. reliable and predictable. I am so DONE with this computerized garbage. If I can't find a way to rip that crap out, and make it simple, the truck is going to be sent to salvage. I'll find some old 50's 60's or early 70's Ford or Chevy to run.

So, Is there a kit, or some aftermarket manifold, or other models' intake that will go on that block so I can run a carb? 2 or 4 barrel, I could care less... Rochester, Holley, Weber.. who cares? Just a simple carb. Heck I'll use a manual choke! I'll install mechanical gauges. Then... That automatic.. GONE! Most worthless thing ever put into a truck. (aside from a darn computer center) What 5-speed will mate-up to a 4.3?

OR
Am I just better off doing something like a 305 / 350 swap?
I like an S10. Always have. But the computer center garbage that GM filled them with, Not so much.

·
Registered
253 Posts
The miss got worse and worse. But only after the engine warmed up. When cold, it ran great.
Seems like it's acting up when it should be in closed loop. It would need the information from those two missing oxygen sensors to run properly. If you're going to carb it, V8 swap and change the transmission. The transmission currently in the truck needs the computer to operate properly. Also check your states inspection laws, may not be legal to operate after the swap.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Threads like this hurt the head.

Can you go to an exhaust shop and have a properly made Y pipe made where the rear o2 functions as needed. I am sure you have not the equipment to turn off the rear o2 sensor. Once the pipe is installed with the o2 disconnect the battery for 10 minutes and restart engine it should run properly.

·
Registered
838 Posts
I'd suggest a few options not including putting a carb on it because you've probably got a $10 problem that doesn't need a $500 solution.

1. If you don't like dealing with the electronics, sell it and buy a mid-80s K10. Yes, it'll get lousy mileage, be expensive to purchase, and break down more often, but it won't have a pretty reliable EFI system that you don't understand.

2. Hire a mechanic to fix the truck for you, or at least diagnose it properly so you can continue to avoid learning about how to fix it.

3. [You're definitely not going to like this one] Travel to a state with some recreational marijuana laws for a weekend, and just spend the time getting high - it sounds like you really need it. After your weekend therapy session, go back to the truck and make an itemized list of the symptoms that you've noticed about it before it quit completely. Then write a list of what you changed on the truck to try to get it working since then. Report back here with the lists, and follow the testing advice that people here will graciously give you for free. There are some really knowledgeable people on this forum and they're super-helpful if you're willing to take direction.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts