S-10 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, im in the process of doing sas to my 96 blazer.

Needed:
4.56 gearing
Astrovan steering box
Shocks
Brake line etc
Rear disc brake weld on bracket
Transfer case output
U-joints
Rebuild front axle

Thought this looked horrid so i notched the frame.

Passenger side.

Drivers side.

Crossmember tacked on.

All welded up!

Leafs bolted on, still gatta weld on the shackle mounts.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Crewcab, it's going to be soa need more lift lol.

KM346 do i know you from somewhere? :p

The leaf spring bushings i ordered didn't work on my waggy leafs -_-.... I'm looking @ superlift 5341s now i bought energy 2.2109R. The image looks the same though hopefully these will work. Also have a lead on some gears i have a question though, how can i tell if i need thick ring gear or normal?

·
Registered
5,228 Posts
to re used the carriers in your axles you need thick cut gears

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No progress, just alot of brainstorming while waiting on some cash to build up. Since i have to regear the axles, and replace half the shit on my front axle/new spring perches due to it being SUA stock should i just try and find a factory axle with 4.10 in it, are there any NT 44s that were SOA from the factory? The 44 i have currently is a low/std pinion so to get the correct caster, and pinion angle i will need to grind off the knuckles and reweld something i can do, but would really like to avoid.

Thanks guys!

·
Life's too short for IFS
748 Posts
Sadly no such axle exists... F250 D44's can be had with 4.10s are HP and factory SOA but they're full width. All NT 44's are going to be SUA (waggy, scout) or coils/radius arms (EB), and to the best of my knowledge none came with factory 4.10s.

I think the best solution is to sell me those axles cheap and upgrade to full width Ford stuff. :rotf:

Or

just junkyard swap rodeo d44 carrier/gears and weld on perches SOA for cheap.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
:haha: I can hook you up with some waggy d44s cheap i have another set laying around they were a good deal... the issue will be shipping them tho. I will stick with the waggy 44s, just kinda making sure/Second guesing and trying to be cheap... Another question... Can i run rodeo ring and pinion/lsd with the correct install kit. I have looked it up but the threads on pirate 44 just confused me more. Derp diddnt see you say that in your post... reading my mind i know that the pinion shaft on the rodeo is thicker or something any idea what install kit is needed for them?

Thanks again i would be lost without yall, and blazer forums.

·
Registered
507 Posts
i put the rodeo gears in my my front waggy 44.....LSD and 430 gears u have to get a different pinion gear but i do believe its been said one here just saying cuz i dont remeber

·
Registered
5,228 Posts
only thing you need to change is the pinion bearing, the rest should swap wright in just make sure the ping and pinion / carrier are from a 93-97 and it will work great, the isuzus run thick cut gearing factory so you could bolt them on your curent carrier if you wanted to

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the replies! I got the axle under it and holy shit this thing is huge... also got the drag link in and the steering stabilizer welded up to it today was going smooth until i went to put my wheels on and they wouldn't fit because the hub was about 1/2 in bigger all the way around. Would it be ok to cut the centers out and then run a bead of weld around the hole to toughen it up? They are stock steel wheels from a 2000 z71

·
Registered
5,228 Posts
What size wheels if they are 16s they Won't work with out wheel spacers to much back spacing

·
Registered
5,228 Posts
17s might clear

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
They are 17s.... are you thinking they are hitting on the caliper? Sorry if i worded that oddly my 15" k5 wheels fit fine because the center hole for the hub is 3.5" how big my spindle/hub is (not sure the exact word but where the lockouts go), and the 17s center hole is only 3" would it hurt to cut the 17s a half inch all the way around or will they be too weak?

·
Registered
5,228 Posts
Iam with you on that part max back spacing on 15" rims is 3.75. Your 17x7s probly have 6" so once you open up the wheels you still might have clearance problems

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Gotcha gotcha... These wheels are just to get her rolling not gonna do too major flexing with it till I can afford to fix it if it brakes. I plan on buying new wheels ad soon as possible with proper backspacing etc etc. Also how does my shackle angle look it's 5° forward with no weight and 45° back with full weight. Thanks for the help!

·
Life's too short for IFS
748 Posts
looking good!

You shackle angle may be a little steep, especially if the springs settle a little after driving it... you'll get more droop travel the way it is, but run the risk of flopping your springs under braking / compression.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
So it wouldn't be a bad idea to make the shackle angle 10 or 15 degrees forward?

Thanks for the words of encouragement :D

1 - 20 of 37 Posts