S-10 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 96,000 miles on my 96-s10. I replaced the oil pressure sending unit at about 60,000 miles because it suddenly started reading much HIGHER (I know that IS odd) that it was. Well, after I replaced it, it still read higher. I haven't thrown on a mechanical unit, but it sometimes goes up to almost 80 psi. Is this a problem? I have noticed a leak in what seems like my rear main (90% sure) and I am wondering about the connection between excessive pressure and this leak. Any ideas/opinions on this would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Tim

·
Registered
619 Posts
80psi all the time or just until it warms up.... are you running the same weight and kind of oil? check possibly corroded grounds for dirty connections

if it only does it until it warms up its ok..... just the oil is thick and creates higher pressures... maybe because you changed oil wieghts or oil brands..... i dont know..... 80psi isn't bad oil pressure.... or in otherwords it wont hurt your engine but its odd that it suddenly increased...... check dash, computer, and body grounds...... 96000 miles is when grounds tend to get corroded and sometimes cause resistance throwing things off some

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
It doesn't always sit at 80 psi. Usually starts at about 40-50 and then at highway speeds (65 mph) it sits at about 70-80 psi. Rarely hits 80, but is usually at 70+.

Thanks for your help. I am running the same type of oil (Napa gold 5-30) that I have been since I bought the truck new. I have heard of the coroded connectors, but all the other electronic guages are still reading normal. Would the oil pressure guage be the only one that is getting messed up?

·
Registered
619 Posts
hard to say.... i personally wouldn't worry about it if it seems to be somewhat accurate.... factory oil pumps are only capable of so much pressure so I doubt you have a serious problem... if the gauge starts to get worse maybe i would worry about it..... or tends to stay pegged....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts