S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy howdy first post on the forum. Here is my question, does anybody know the parts interchangeability from a 96 gmc k1500 to a 96 s10? i plan on doing the v8 swap but i want to use as many parts as i can off of the k1500 because I got it for free but the only catch is that the transmission is no good on it. if i can get most parts from the k1500 all I really need is the motor mounts and the headers right? engine in the k1500 obviously is a 350 small block and my s10 has a 4.3 so it should be easier than the 4 banger right?

·
B4U Task Force Admin
25,732 Posts
Swaps don't get much easier than that. Look thru the V8 stickies...lots of info there. I'm sure @oldeerslayer will drop in with good advice.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Pretty simple wiring harness mods for the two extra injectors and the odds and ends for actually getting it in. All in all should be simple.
Motor mounts
Transmission mounts
Radiator
Fans
Driveshaft
Should be about it. Depending on what you do will affect what all gets touched and how much. I didn't do anything to my trans or driveshaft on this last swap and used factory radiator for 4.3 in stock location with electric fans in front of ac condenser.

Read the V8 stickies and you should be good to go

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Pretty simple wiring harness mods for the two extra injectors and the odds and ends for actually getting it in. All in all should be simple.
Motor mounts
Transmission mounts
Radiator
Fans
Driveshaft
Should be about it. Depending on what you do will affect what all gets touched and how much. I didn't do anything to my trans or driveshaft on this last swap and used factory radiator for 4.3 in stock location with electric fans in front of ac condenser.

Read the V8 stickies and you should be good to go
Another thing is my k1500 is carbed and the 4.3 has fuel injection (not tbi it is a vortec 4.3) what extra hurdles am I going to have to go through? I don't really have a clue what is needed to switch it out from being computer operated to carb

·
B4U Task Force Admin
25,732 Posts
Put the fuel injection back on it. Your going to need the ecm to run the transmission and gauges. There are work arounds...all of which will probably cost you more and and not work as well.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Put the fuel injection back on it. Your going to need the ecm to run the transmission and gauges. There are work arounds...all of which will probably cost you more and and not work as well.
Wouldn't tbi be more trouble than its worth? I plan on down the road putting some money into the engine. before the engine had tbi, everything on the k1500 is in good condition but the transmission because the transmission did lots of towing, the engine is still strong in it and it has less kilometers than the current one in my s10. The k1500 has a transmission computer in it so I don't see how it would be trouble taking the computer out and putting it in the s10, is it supposed to specifically work just with the 4x4 4l60e in the k1500? Or would it just work fine even though it's rwd?

·
Been there Done it
9,254 Posts
If the K1500 is a 1996 it came with SCFI not TBI. Unless the engine was changed to a 95 or earlier. The transmission won't work correctly without some of the input from the fuel injection sensors.
Let's start with the basics. How many intake manifold bolts are on each side of the engine? 4 or 6 and are they perfectly vertical or closer to the angle of the intake manifold. That will tell us which 350 you actually have.
Doesn't sound like you have a 96 engine. Which could really complicate the wiring.

Is the S10 also 4wd or just the full size?

·
Registered
269 Posts
Yes, need more info on engine in k1500, if it's a vortec engine swapped to carb it is still relatively easy just need to modify wiring harness for two extra injectors and get factory intake manifold and distributor and run it with the 4.3 wiring harness.

If it's not a vortec engine it would take a set of vortec heads and intake manifold to make run with factory wiring harness

·
Been there Done it
9,254 Posts
I think he wants to do it the hard way and run a carb.
That was cool 30 years ago. So was KITT and David Hasselhoff.
Well I guess that wasn't a very good analogy because way back in 1982 the Kitt car was all computer controlled.
So today all that is reality and not cool?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes, need more info on engine in k1500, if it's a vortec engine swapped to carb it is still relatively easy just need to modify wiring harness for two extra injectors and get factory intake manifold and distributor and run it with the 4.3 wiring harness.

If it's not a vorte engine it would take a set of vortec heads and intake manifold to make run with factory wiring harness
I haven't checked but im almost certain it isn't a vortec, now that I think about it I think it's a 94 k1500 not a 96

If it's not a vortec engine it would take a set of vortec heads and intake manifold to make run with factory wiring harness
I dun goofed on the k1500 it's a 94 not a 96, I didn't see a reason to swap it over to a carb either if it had the proper fuel injection instead of tbi, I'll come back later with pics of the engine and such if needed

·
Registered
269 Posts
I'd still say your best bet is to get a Junkyard set of vortec heads and the intake manifold with all the fuel rails on it , get all the cam retainer stuff and lifters and pushrods and bolt it to the top of your 94 engine and do a cam swap or get everything but the cam off the vortec engine and put a cam in it then get the ECU tuned for the bigger cam. When you put the heads on put a set of 60$ blue ls6 valve springs in it and put 16 Viton valve stem seals on the valve stems for like 45$ including a valve spring tool and get it running that way. It all comes back to it's going to be a pain to make all the body harness and gauges work with the transmission without the fuel injection on the big end. Unless you're willing to swap in a th350 or a 700r4 and ditch the 4l60e. By then you could get the 100$ worth of heads and 100$ worth of camshaft stuff out of a JY vortec and 100$ intake manifold and put it on top of the engine with a 50$ top end gasket kit and make your 350 100hp faster than anything you can do with the bathtub pre 96 heads and for 400$ more in camshaft and tune pick up another 50-100hp on top of that. So for the price of making all your body wiring harness run and a different transmission to run a 200-220 hp 350 you could run a very reliable 300-400 horsepower 350 with all the benefits of fuel injection like gas mileage and tunability beyond anything a carb can do. ( I'ma fuel injection fan boy what can I say)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'd still say your best bet is to get a Junkyard set of vortec heads and the intake manifold with all the fuel rails on it , get all the cam retainer stuff and lifters and pushrods and bolt it to the top of your 94 engine and do a cam swap or get everything but the cam off the vortec engine and put a cam in it then get the ECU tuned for the bigger cam. When you put the heads on put a set of 60$ blue ls6 valve springs in it and put 16 Viton valve stem seals on the valve stems for like 45$ including a valve spring tool and get it running that way. It all comes back to it's going to be a pain to make all the body harness and gauges work with the transmission without the fuel injection on the big end. Unless you're willing to swap in a th350 or a 700r4 and ditch the 4l60e. By then you could get the 100$ worth of heads and 100$ worth of camshaft stuff out of a JY vortec and 100$ intake manifold and put it on top of the engine with a 50$ top end gasket kit and make your 350 100hp faster than anything you can do with the bathtub pre 96 heads and for 400$ more in camshaft and tune pick up another 50-100hp on top of that. So for the price of making all your body wiring harness run and a different transmission to run a 200-220 hp 350 you could run a very reliable 300-400 horsepower 350 with all the benefits of fuel injection like gas mileage and tunability beyond anything a carb can do. ( I'ma fuel injection fan boy what can I say)
If I'm doing that I might as well just take the whole engine, probably the transmission too then if it it's not too much trouble to swap

·
B4U Task Force Admin
25,732 Posts
You know it needs a Crank Position sensor...right? He'd be better off just getting an engine that will bolt in without piecing stuff together.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I think you're still going to run into issues with the TBI wiring harness in the truck with the body harness but that's doable as long as you're okay with cutting up both harnesses, just make sure you get the engine harness for the TBI truck if you're going to keep TBI.

·
Registered
269 Posts
You know it needs a Crank Position sensor...right? He'd be better off just getting an engine that will bolt in without piecing stuff together.
That should be bolted to the front of the S10 he already has or does the 96 vortec use a different sensor location because of the balance shaft? A 15$ sensor and 12$ timing cover is not a big deal especially when talking about a 7-800$ swap not counting the price of the motor and or trans and driveshaft. If he's to the point of cutting up two wiring harnesses to run TBI or coming up with a way to make all the gauges work with a carb and HEI a 2 wire crank position sensor with factory mounting and sprockets and pitail is a drop in the bucket. But for clarification couldn't he use the factory 4.3 timing cover and sensor and sprockets on a 5.7 and just have the extra clearance for the balance shaft that the 5.7 doesn't have?

·
Been there Done it
9,254 Posts
You can pickup a running L31 Vortec engine for a lot less than trying to piece one together. Going rate around here is $300-400 for a decent one. $600 for a really good one. Then using the existing wiring simply add 2 hot and 2 grd wires for the additional injectors. Find a 96 C1500 5.7 computer and swap them. Lot cheaper than having the 4.3 PCM reprogrammed. Some of the pins will have to be moved. I have the diagrams and it's easy to do. The full size and S-10 use the same computer each year. But it has to be a 96 if it's going into a 96 because each year is slightly different. Even though the engines never changed in either series. Things like AC, ABS, and cruise are what's different from year to year. So they are pinned differently.
With a 5.7 Vortec even the fuel lines from the S10 bolt right up. Mounts and exhaust are about the only major changes. And moving the radiator.

That 94 block might not be machined for a roller cam, which would put an end to parts swapping. I think it depends on which plant built the TBI engine, whether they were fully machined or not. Heck, even the roller cam retaining plates came in 2 different ID's and replacement plates include 2 different size button head bolts because some engines had bigger holes and threads than others.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I agree with it being way* easier to do a complete running swap of the two same years into the truck which was what the OP originally said he had, that would be cake. My opinion was that since he already has the free TBI engine he could get all the vortec mods and a bigger cam and better valve springs and for relatively the same amount of money have a true 350-400 hp engine vs a 220 hp TBI engine. Yes if he wants to get a L31 complete that's easier especially if he also gets a 96 specific computer, but he would have to tune the 96 anyway if he ever wanted to run a different camshaft which the vortecs leave a lot to be desired on the camshafts and definitely the tunes.

All truck engines after 93 should have all the holes drilled and tapped for the blocks

·
B4U Task Force Admin
25,732 Posts
I agree with it being way* easier to do a complete running swap of the two same years into the truck which was what the OP originally said he had, that would be cake. My opinion was that since he already has the free TBI engine he could get all the vortec mods and a bigger cam and better valve springs and for relatively the same amount of money have a true 350-400 hp engine vs a 220 hp TBI engine. Yes if he wants to get a L31 complete that's easier especially if he also gets a 96 specific computer, but he would have to tune the 96 anyway if he ever wanted to run a different camshaft which the vortecs leave a lot to be desired on the camshafts and definitely the tunes.

All truck engines after 93 should have all the holes drilled and tapped for the blocks
I think your horsepower numbers are a little optimistic

·
Registered
269 Posts
I think your horsepower numbers are a little optimistic
Engine masters has a SBC 350 build where they take a stock 350 TBI headed engine with stock cam and engine Dyno it at 230 something horsepower then pull the heads and put on stock port vortec heads with a better valve spring, a bigger camshaft and a dual plane intake manifold with a 600-800 cfm carb and immediately make 370-380 hp, I can't remember exact numbers but it's very close to this. There is no reason a vortec headed 350 with a decent 220-230 duration at 50° camshaft with 450- 480 thou of lift (maximum on vortec head without clearance issues with factory valve spring closer to 500 thou with ls6 beehive springs) shouldn't make 1 hp per cubic inch. In my honest opinion. Pre 96 stock heads are absolutely trash. They just don't flow anything like a 96 and later vortec head.

·
Registered
269 Posts

Vortec heads drilled and tapped for 7/16 rocker studs, machined for more lift with a drill and arbor of summit racing for the spring seats, then camshaft and airgap intake with 800cfm carm made 375 hp to the tire through a manual and 10 bolt spooled. Full episode isn't on YouTube but on motor trend on demand they go through the engine build

1 - 20 of 26 Posts