S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
96 GMC Jimmy SLE - OBSOLETE FRAME SEARCH
This is probably the longest of long shots, but I am looking for a completely, 100%, totally rust free, frame assembly, including all of the component parts, for my older, 1996 GMC Jimmy SLE (VIN 1GKDT13W9T2534710), essentially, in "cherry" condition. I believe the OEM Part # for this item is 15720825, and an illustration of such, with accompanying components, may be seen at Frame & Components for 1996 GMC Jimmy | GM Parts Center - The problem is that it’s been discontinued on GMC websites, and so I can’t seem to find a "new" one, anywhere. If anyone can point me to one that doesn't have an astronomically asinine price attached to it - as I'm neither into, nor will I allow myself to be subjected to usury or price gouging - that'd be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much.

·
94 4x4,01 Blazer
2001 Blazer 4dr 4wd LT
1,457 Posts
yup- you are looking for the Ark of the Covenent there- better to look is the desert southwest and make a road trip and buy a whole jimmy- little to no rust on those- all the rubber and wiring and plastic will be shot- but you will have that near perfect base to start with.

·
Been there Done it
10,984 Posts
I followed your link and it says it's for a 4door 4wd. Not going to find too many of those in the desert. Most were sold in the salt belt to Mom's needing to get their kids to BB games in mid winter and rotted away years ago.\
Wish you luck on your search.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Responding to Jayhawke:
Yup, you got that right. Kind of hoping on a wing and a prayer, kind of literally almost. Have sent out multiple inquiries to various locations, but no replies. It's like trying to find the head of a needle in a haystack - forget the whole needle itself. Gets quite frustrating. I've got no way to get out west myself, so if I am fortunate enough, by some God blessed miracle, to actually find one somewhere, then there'll be the while issue of shipping, etc., but it'll never happen for sure if I don't at least try and make the best effort that I can. That's why I'm reaching out, everywhere and everywhere I can, to try and make it happen, or at least to try an find an opportunity where maybe I could, at some point. Just so much work - which I guess will make the reward all the more better if ever, again, by some miracle, am able to succeed. But thanks for your time, and thoughts and feedback, and for relating to the reality of my predicament.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
"This" entry, in and of itself, redacted. (Was repetitive; couldn't figure out how to delete). But topic / request for feedback / assist, still open. Thanks everyone ! :)

·
Been there Done it
10,984 Posts
What's wrong with your current frame? Might want to consider removing, having it sand blasted and have a pro welder cure any issues. You can even have it powder coated. No idea what that might cost. Online search was everything from $300 - $1200. You have to pressure wash it with lacquer thinner first to remove ALL oil or grease.

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
What would you consider an asinine price?

I could find you a very nice used frame here in the Pacific Northwest and I do make trips out to Michigan periodically with other cars/car parts in tow, but that all comes with a price tag for the effort.

I bought a replacement frame from a local yard for my Blazer way back in 2008, but finding non rusty examples in Michigan was far easier that long ago.

There's always the chance you do hit gold. Not sure if you've looked already, but car-part.com could be a good resource for your search. Anything 4 Door and 4WD from 95-05 should be what you're looking for.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Responding to oldeerslayer
Had previously considered / thought about weld repairs, etc., but ultimately, just became totally disgusted with what I was seeing and what my mechanic had pointed out (i.e., holes / fractures around rear suspension area (I don't know exact parts terminology, as I'm not a mechanic - but back by the right rear passenger wheel, where everything comes together to the the frame, in that area - and other areas of rust and concerns of potential deficits in structural integrity, [pr possibility thereof], pretty much throughout). And I'm pretty "OCD-ish" . . . so when I run into problems like that, whether in life or otherwise - it pretty much - in my book - calls for a complete do-over, so to speak. And so that's where I'm at. You'd never know it by looking at the thing, but I'm already about $2500 or so into it with a bunch of other stuff I've had done and other replacement parts along the way (which I’m not going to get into here) ... but the long and short of it is I’m pretty much already committed and in over my head as it is. So, all of these things combined, this has all become a long-term project for me, overall, that I'll either one day finally get wrapped up - or I'll just continue dumping money into it like a dumb ****; or I'll just pick up some sort of hopefully dependable beater, somewhere along the way. Sorry of I seem to be jumping around a bit. It's partly because of the OCD thing and partly just being a bit plain 'ole scatter brained, LOL.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Responding to Harley
Funny you mention carpart.com - I’m actually, literally in the process of just beginning to go through their listings and options right now, and sent out my first query last night. (I inquired about the 1996 Frame Assembly / Chevy Blazer S10/S15 / rock # SS17), for starters. Seems like they may have a ton of possible options – but I am quite OCDi-sh, so its gonna take me a while to work through exploring the possible options there that catch my eye . . . but I’ve definitely begun the process. Going to be pretty time consuming, I can already see. – And on and on it goes. But as they say, sometimes ya really gotta bust *** to get what ya want. Lord knows, I’m trying. This has already taken me a bunch of time and effort, and apparently, seems like it’s going to take a bunch more. Oh well, sometimes the only thing we can do is our best. And so that’s what I’m trying to do, and trying to give it a go, in the process – no matter how long it takes.
As far as what I’d consider to be an asinine price, that’s a question that’s hard to pin down to an exact amount or price range – ‘cause one never knows what the condition or other relevant details of an item may be, that might pop up or become potentially available. And I’m not asking anyone at this point to go ahead and take this on as their own personal job or mission – meaning going out and investing their own time and effort and labor, in trying to “find a frame, for me” - but I am open to reasonable possibilities and considerations. So, if you think you might happen upon something, somewhere, that could potentially be a reasonable possibility . . . just keep me in the back of your mind, if you’d be willing. And you can always give a holler or shout-out. Asking never hurt anyone, and if you stumble across or happen upon something that you think could be a perfect fit, and that you think you could make it happen for a fee . . . give a holler, LOL. I’d be grateful for the thought, and consideration. No pressure, no obligations. Just a window, to a possible resolution.

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
@rikoshey I'm positive I can find a frame that meets your needs. I see them all the time at the junkyards out here and most are rust free. I'd probably find a rough, but not wrecked truck and part/scrap it out for the frame you'd want.

I've got a deal with a guy out in Michigan to bring out truck beds for him. Could put it with a load, replacing one of the beds, to get it out East. I try to get about $500 per bed, so that's what I'd wan to charge for the trip. Feel free to shoot me a message if that strikes your interest. No pressure on my end either. I do hope to make a trip before the end of May and have an empty spot on the truck, but it's a coordination with time off work and making time for the lady.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Responding to Harley
Okay. Thanks for your follow up. VERY COOL AND VERY INTERRESTING
Please forgive me here, ‘cause I’m going to go a little “clinical” with my OCD, but just to be clear and make sure there’s no room for error, ignorance or misperception or misunderstanding on my part, what you’re saying, is that you believe you can find me exactly what I'm looking for, which is, essentially, an exact match frame, with components, for my 1996 GMC Jimmy SLE (VIN 1GKDT13W9T2534710) – which will in fact be an exact match to the OEM frame, with components, that originally came with the vehicle, with an OEM GM parts identification # of 15720825 (a shown here); that such would be, and is, in fact, the correct setup, for the vehicle I’ve specified, AND would be entirely and completely, 100%, totally rust free, and essentially, in "cherry" condition, with absolutely no issues of compromised structural integrity, or prior repair, whatsoever, etc., AND that you could also arrange for execution of delivery of the such (i.e., the entire frame assembly, including all of the components), as part of transaction?
If that’s what you’re saying, then I’d be an idiot to say that I’m not interested, because I absolutely am. The question is, how would we go about arranging all of this; how exactly would we get it done, and please don’t take any offense to this, but what, if any prior customer &/or business references might you be able to provide, if you have in fact done this for others, in the past (?) – as it sounds like you may have. I hope you’ll forgive me for asking that, but in today’s day and age, the world has gone absolutely crazy, as you know, and so of course, common sense calls for being exceptionally careful, when there are so many people out there getting taken advantage of, and taken for a ride – no pun intended. And so, because I’ve obviously never met you before, and I don’t really know you, personally, It’d be stupid of me not to therefor exercise, due diligence.
Finally, if I haven’t already lost you, if you could include some type of guestimate as to the price range you think you’d be talking about – meaning “all in,” or in its entirety, including delivery(?) that’d be great, while also presenting an opportunity to make some kind of a decision as to whether or not I’d be able to move forward with accepting your offer – or have to alternatively, potentially decline, or postpone, for future consideration. Also, any guestimate as, to an estimated time frame (as I understand you would still need to find the frame / components, first, of course), and as well?
NOTE: Delivery area would be to Brattleboro, VT 05301
PS: If we were to continue and move forward with this, how would we take it “off-site” (i.e., out of the forum) – or is that even allowed?
Thanks

·
B4U Task Force Admin
28,443 Posts
I know Harley personally. If there's anyone that can get your part...it's him. He has sourced parts for people overseas and delivered them to California for shipment on a container ship.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Responding to Rhotpursuit
Thanks. You being an Admin carries some weight. I'm feeling pretty confident he's gonna have a few good references of his own, from other clients / businesses, and am feeling hopefully optimistic :)

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Please forgive me here, ‘cause I’m going to go a little “clinical” with my OCD, but just to be clear and make sure there’s no room for error, ignorance or misperception or misunderstanding on my part, what you’re saying, is that you believe you can find me exactly what I'm looking for, which is, essentially, an exact match frame, with components, for my 1996 GMC Jimmy SLE (VIN 1GKDT13W9T2534710) – which will in fact be an exact match to the OEM frame, with components, that originally came with the vehicle, with an OEM GM parts identification # of 15720825 (a shown here); that such would be, and is, in fact, the correct setup, for the vehicle I’ve specified, AND would be entirely and completely, 100%, totally rust free, and essentially, in "cherry" condition, with absolutely no issues of compromised structural integrity, or prior repair, whatsoever, etc., AND that you could also arrange for execution of delivery of the such (i.e., the entire frame assembly, including all of the components), as part of transaction?
Finding the frame is the easy part. That part number - checking the site - was used from 1995 - 2004 on 4WD 4 Door Blazers, Jimmys, and Bravadas.

I can get you pictures of what the typical Pacific Northwest Frame looks like the next time I'm at the junkyard, but any truck that has been a driver has a frame in very nice condition as far as rust goes. 100% rust free is a tall order anywhere aside from the desert, but I think even you'll be impressed.

If that’s what you’re saying, then I’d be an idiot to say that I’m not interested, because I absolutely am. The question is, how would we go about arranging all of this; how exactly would we get it done, and please don’t take any offense to this, but what, if any prior customer &/or business references might you be able to provide, if you have in fact done this for others, in the past (?) – as it sounds like you may have. I hope you’ll forgive me for asking that, but in today’s day and age, the world has gone absolutely crazy, as you know, and so of course, common sense calls for being exceptionally careful, when there are so many people out there getting taken advantage of, and taken for a ride – no pun intended. And so, because I’ve obviously never met you before, and I don’t really know you, personally, It’d be stupid of me not to therefor exercise, due diligence.
I've done both work and provided/delivered parts for a number of members on this forum.

I did the engine swap on @Rhotpursuit truck.

And like was mentioned I sourced and delivered parts to San Francisco for @Jorm and packed up a van he had waiting there to be shipped off to Europe.

I've delivered parts to @blakearonson in Los Angeles as well as purchased and stored a truck for him for a couple months.

Those are the bigger jobs I've done in the recent past.

Outside of that, earlier this year, I delivered a car to Las Vegas and then came back up to Wyoming to haul a car out to Indiana on a trip to visit family in Michigan. I can provide contact info for those guys too.

I have also been selling used car parts on eBay the last several years quite successfully - The Ugly Truckling | eBay Stores

Finally, if I haven’t already lost you, if you could include some type of guestimate as to the price range you think you’d be talking about – meaning “all in,” or in its entirety, including delivery(?) that’d be great, while also presenting an opportunity to make some kind of a decision as to whether or not I’d be able to move forward with accepting your offer – or have to alternatively, potentially decline, or postpone, for future consideration. Also, any guestimate as, to an estimated time frame (as I understand you would still need to find the frame / components, first, of course), and as well?
NOTE: Delivery area would be to Brattleboro, VT 05301
PS: If we were to continue and move forward with this, how would we take it “off-site” (i.e., out of the forum) – or is that even allowed?
Thanks
The final leg from Michigan to Vermont is the expensive part. I've got a full load to Michigan that pays for the trip when including a frame, but gas alone from Michigan to Vermont and back is around $400. I'd charge around $200 for the frame and $500 to get it to Michigan. We'll have to negotiate the rest to see if there's an affordable way to make it work. I'm not really in the long hauling business, but do try to line up trips with paying jobs if I can. I've got a truck and trailer that like doing work, but don't have any contacts in the North East for moving stuff around.

I'll send you a private message to move this off forum going forward. That's usually where things end up, so definitely allowed and preferred in many cases.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Responding to Harley
Yeah, unfortunately, I think the distance, when coupled with the associated expenditures here, may be a killer. The costs you've stated thus far all seem pretty legit (and so do you :)), but in totality, the $400 in gas for the trip from Michigan to VT + $200 for frame (which would be a good deal) + $500 to get it to Michigan (before heading to VT with it), totals out at $1,100 right off the bat, which would also, if I understand correctly, be in addition, to remaining expenditures, to be negotiated, as well . . . but a brand-new frame (when they could still be found), was going for around $1200. So, I'd essentially be paying a brand-new frame price (plus), for a used replacement.

That’s a bit hard for me to jump on - though your costs do seem to be fair, as stated, from where you're coming from - conceptually speaking. It's just causing me to have some serous pause to wonder if I shouldn't just continue with the fight of having to remain patient, with the ongoing battle, of having to search around closer to home, for what'd potentially garner some serious saving, w/all things considered.

If the frame was coming from one of those desert areas, like you referenced, where it would in fact be 100% rust free, that'd probably more appealing and tempting, but I'm assuming you don't get out into those zones, and so it wouldn't be an option - at least not w/in the category of the price ranges you've been talking about?

Meanwhile, and deferring back again with another apology, for my ignorance, how do you move this forward to private messaging? Are users of the forum somehow able to access the personal contact credentials of fellow members (i.e., personal email addresses, etc.), it how does it work – and where should I look for your private message?

Well . . . gotta step out for a while . . . things to do. Will try & catch up later. Peace out, for now :)

Thanks again

·
time to get cereal
4,970 Posts
Click on your avatar at the top right of the page (the purple square with the R) and click on conversations. Or click on the username of the person you want to message, then start conversation.

·
Premium Member
260 Posts
One option maybe crazy. Is to find a truck in Montana that runs and drive it home. If you get a nice enough truck you could sell the parts off of it to recoup some of your cost. Montana vehicle are typically rust free. Another is to find one here in Memphis TN we do not use salt and you can find a rust free truck.

·
Premium Member
162 Posts
I've delivered parts to @blakearonson in Los Angeles as well as purchased and stored a truck for him for a couple months.
Yup, in southern CA we have the opposite problem most of you guys have, not enough clouds. It's rare to find something rusted here, but that also means it's rare to find rubber and plastic that isn't faded, cracked or very brittle. Harley has sourced multiple dashes, door panels and other interior components for me from the land of no sun. All at fair prices. All conveniently shipped or delivered to me. All exactly as described. As he mentioned already, I trusted him enough to paypal him a couple thousands dollars to pick up and store a truck for me just this year.

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Responding to Harley
Yeah, unfortunately, I think the distance, when coupled with the associated expenditures here, may be a killer. The costs you've stated thus far all seem pretty legit (and so do you :)), but in totality, the $400 in gas for the trip from Michigan to VT + $200 for frame (which would be a good deal) + $500 to get it to Michigan (before heading to VT with it), totals out at $1,100 right off the bat, which would also, if I understand correctly, be in addition, to remaining expenditures, to be negotiated, as well . . . but a brand-new frame (when they could still be found), was going for around $1200. So, I'd essentially be paying a brand-new frame price (plus), for a used replacement.

That’s a bit hard for me to jump on - though your costs do seem to be fair, as stated, from where you're coming from - conceptually speaking. It's just causing me to have some serous pause to wonder if I shouldn't just continue with the fight of having to remain patient, with the ongoing battle, of having to search around closer to home, for what'd potentially garner some serious saving, w/all things considered.

If the frame was coming from one of those desert areas, like you referenced, where it would in fact be 100% rust free, that'd probably more appealing and tempting, but I'm assuming you don't get out into those zones, and so it wouldn't be an option - at least not w/in the category of the price ranges you've been talking about?

Meanwhile, and deferring back again with another apology, for my ignorance, how do you move this forward to private messaging? Are users of the forum somehow able to access the personal contact credentials of fellow members (i.e., personal email addresses, etc.), it how does it work – and where should I look for your private message?

Well . . . gotta step out for a while . . . things to do. Will try & catch up later. Peace out, for now :)

Thanks again
I think at best we'd hit the $1000-1200 mark for a frame delivered to you in Vermont.

I also didn't mean to scare you off with the not 100% rust free comment, I just don't want to over promise.

I bought a 78 Ford Fairmont out here and other than grease and grime the floorboards and underbody were pristine. Oregon/Washington don't use much if any salt in the winter and the climate is very temperate, so it doesn't breed much rust on vehicles that are used. Even some that sit are in great condition. There still is some sorting through what is available, but great parts can be found here much more readily than other places.

300k on @Rhotpursuit 96 S10 frame looks like this

Here's a 2004 Suburban I did some work on. It's life has consisted of being a firetruck and now a people and gear hauler for a Mountain Rescue Group that take it up onto the mountain in the snow on a regular basis.

But I do think @remops may have the best idea for you is to buy a running truck from a state with either a dry climate or little sale usage and bring it home. Part out a few things and scrap the rest and you'll probably not be too far off from your budget. That was my plan to find you a frame as I have a need for parts and could pay off the rest of the truck with sales.

I did send you a private message. Like was said check your avatar in the upper right hand corner of the window. Should be a red dot next to it too.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts