S-10 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 96 Blazer, The car would not start, I replaced the fuel pump and the car ran good for a week. Then it was hard to start after it sat over night. When I got it to start, it idled very bad, like it was misfiring. The Check engine light came on and started "flashing". I turned it off and cleared the computer by removing power. And it fired right up. This worked for another 5 days. Now it is doing it again. I even noticed water coming from the exhaust when the car is idling bad,...not sure what that means. Could it be a bad IAC valve? would a bad valve cause hard starts? Please advise.

thank you.

·
Registered
17 Posts
IAC and valves are two different things.
And yes it could be an IAC motor, especially if you crack the throttle blade a bit and it runs ok.

·
Early Member
3,135 Posts
Also check your EGR for carbon build up.

·
Clean N' Dark
1,921 Posts
Yes, check you IAC valve.

Take it out and clean it with carb cleaner.

·
Clean N' Dark
1,921 Posts
That would be a good place to start instead of replace part aimlessly.

Get the code read and don't clear them until you know.

It does sound like an EGR.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, I finally got a hold of a OBD scanner and the message is "random multiple cylinder misfire". Can the timing be off? ignition? I can get truck to start, but it idles like crap.
Any ideas?

·
Clean N' Dark
1,921 Posts
Hows your cap and rotor?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Aaron91RS said:
IAC and valves are two different things.
And yes it could be an IAC motor, especially if you crack the throttle blade a bit and it runs ok.
sorry, but the IAC is a valve..

i had an IAC Valve take a crap on my girlfriends nissan, and it would die stopping at red lights. and are you sure its water and not gas??

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The engine is a 4.3 L, with the single injector intake, not the multi-port.

Today I will put in new spark plugs, rotor and cap. See if this helps.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I put a new cap and rotor and that seemed to do the trick.
It has been 2 days now and so far so good.

Thank you everyone for your help.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I spoke too soon. Yesterday morning the car started doing the shake again, "random multiple cylinder misfire....according to the OBD scanner. I drove it yesterday all day.....how?.....well, ..after about 2 minutes the car stops misfiring and the engine light stops flashing. It seems that after the is warmed up it is ok because this morning it did not want to fire up at all. But after many tries I got the car to fire and the same thing happened, misfires for 2 to 5 minutes then clears up. I am stuck. Below is what has been done.

1. EGR checked and cleaned
2. Fuel pressure OK 62psi
3. new cap and rotor and plugs.
4. IAC valve checked and cleaned.

motor is a 4.3 L single injector vortex motor.

Please help.
thanks,

·
Registered
18 Posts
I had the same thing happen on my 94 it would idle rough then stall but mine still did that warmed up. the problem was a bad distributor the gear had worn and there was to much freeplay in the shaft the ecu kept trying to advance and retard the ignition.

·
Clean N' Dark
1,921 Posts
I would reset the computer by taking off the negative post connection for 30minutes and see if it smoothes out.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
BlazerLT, I tried disconnecting the battery like you said. And it still does it....What do you think about what bigjim says about the distributor gear?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts