S-10 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need a little insight as to wiring setup. Do I ditch the 2.2 harness for 4.3 and just tie in to the 5.7. Or do I Implement both ECM's and harnesses ? The 96 has the abs integrated into the ecm from what I read so I'm at a standstill. 1st swap here. Thanks for any help.

·
Been there Done it
11,461 Posts
If you replace the engine harness and ECM with a 4.3 unit the only wiring required would be moving 5 of the 6 injector control pins to different pin positions and adding 2 for the extra 2 cylinders. Plus a couple more pink power wires at the injector center connector. Everything else is plug and play.
Only down side is the 96 PCM is not supported by any tuning companies like EFI Live or HP Tuners. Probably because of the ABS oddity. So if you wanted to delete vats, evap, or change your gear ratio there is no way to reprogram the 96 computer. 96 4L60E's are also a 2 year only design.
I'd use a 98 engine harness along with a 98 engine and transmission and a 98 ABS pump. Both the ABS pump and transmission were used for many years and can also be managed by a later 0411 PCM. The ABS pump has it's own control module.
IIRC @Rhotpursuit switched his 96 to a later ABS unit when he installed an LS engine and later PCM. Either he or @Harley who also worked on that swap could probably fill you in on the details. HP Tuners also can support the 98-00 S10 black box PCM if you choose to stay with the original style computer.
While you're parts chasing pickup a 4.3 pair of fuel lines and filter from the engine down to the frame. It will bolt right up to the existing fuel lines from the pump and to either a 4.3V or 5.7V engine since both Vortecs fuel rail connectors are in the exact same location.
You'll also want a 4.3 rad which will cool your 5.7 no problem and a complete set of 4.3 front accessories if your engine doesn't already have the same setup on it. I seem to remember some of the 96 Vortec V8's having some heavy steel front mounting bracket. It was all one piece and heavy. Might have just been on the HD trucks?
Going 4.3 Vortec to 5.7 Vortec is about the easiest V8 S10 swap ever. Other than recessing the rad and building exhaust there isn't much to it.
If you know someone who is a machinist you can even mod the exhaust manifolds to work. Most machine shops won't do the mod because heat cycled cast iron has hard spots that wreak havoc with cutters. Buying new ones to cut would be the way to go.

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
I will recommend the 2000+ ABS module as it is the smallest unit, but should work for any 98+ with the newer computers.

The brackets for the pump will be needed. I don't think I had to drill any holes in the fender, but did have to add 2 holes to the inner fender for the mount. The power distribution block will also need to be relocated if my memory is correct. I also switched to the 98+ Master Cylinder and used/modified some of the brake lines from the truck with the newer ABS module to simplify the install for myself.

The wiring is fairly straightforward, but having the schematics for both years will be helpful. The 98+ master cylinder reservoir comes with the brake level switch the ABS module will be looking for. Other than that the ABS module needs a VSS signal, Serial Data, brake pedal switch, Ignition 12v, and connecting up the existing wheel Wheel Speed Sensors. Most of those can be had from the wiring to the cruise control module. Lastly the main power and ground will need to be hooked up. I used the relocated distribution block on the fender for the power.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts