S-10 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Aye! Sea Turtles
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This truck is almost in perfect condition, the engine is clean and polished. 51k miles on it, nice inside, great paint and body condition...but why damnit, do all problems happen at once with these trucks?

I thought 2nd generations where less complex than their brother 1st gens. The heater core has gone out and leaked all of my anti-freeze all over the place. The truck over heated on the freeway, I have to gun it into overdrive just to keep up with normal traffic around here in Columbus, OH. 4-bangin' sucks hard compaired to the 2.8 I used to have!

Now I think my damn head gasket is getting ready to go. All I am doing is putting money into this damn motor and I cannot afford a new truck, much less a new motor right now. Are these problems common with everyone else after the 50,000 mark?

Hard to pimp a ride that leaks anti-freeze all over the place when you stop and has trouble keeping up with normal grand-ma traffic much less racing anything around town...whew, to me 2nd gen's just look good. That's about it.

·
Ahhhhhhhhh Satisfying!!!
5,174 Posts
I had no problems in my 98, my valve cover gasket started leaking :shrugs:

Caleb

·
Registered
697 Posts
whats really gonna bake your noodle is what happens in the 60K mile range.
nothings really common in our trucks if you think about it though. i think its more like a half and half kinda thing. my slave cyl went out at 62K but my friends (has the same year truck with same motor/tranny) is still going at 95K but his heater core went at about 50K and mine is still going at 65K. then again both our batteries went at 50K so i guess some stuff are common and others are half and half.

·
Registered
355 Posts
ya valve cover at 60k for me. but in all fairness all trucks nad cars have thier faults and in time fall apart. but since we got tiny engines it is pretty easy to take them apart and work in the engine bay

·
Aye! Sea Turtles
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ArgGghhHH! I really ****ed this truck up! $1,075 in damage to mainly the head gasket. Have to get it custom machined over at the local NAPA.

Some other goodies busted, to pissed off to list them. Won't have this thing running again until Friday. Got school and work to get to during the week too.

All this work and I am still going to have to floor it to keep up with traffic. This sucks, this really, really sucks. Thank you GM and God (With a capital "G" no less) for my lead foot.

·
Beaver-ologist
240 Posts
I'm at 67k and the only problems I have are a small ticking noise when my engine is idling but still cold. This usually goes away after it is warmed up. I think my timing chain/lifters need to be tuned. I know its something in the "top end" though. I don't even know if you CAN adjust the timing on our little engines :dunno: .

·
Aye! Sea Turtles
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You can, just hard to get too with all the clutter around the motor. On another note, I can get a 350 small-block and a sequential gearbox tranny for what I am paying for this stupid head gasket.

About to go that route. Bye-bye 4-bangin' it lasted about a week!

·
bagged1
2,216 Posts
NateDawg said:
I'm at 67k and the only problems I have are a small ticking noise when my engine is idling but still cold. This usually goes away after it is warmed up. I think my timing chain/lifters need to be tuned. I know its something in the "top end" though. I don't even know if you CAN adjust the timing on our little engines :dunno: .
I hear the tick too when My trucks cold.

·
bagged1
2,216 Posts
K more info

Every 2.2 does it :chicken:

Its the nature of the beast (valve noise) , I know someone who's a gm engine tech that does the durability testing and such. He said EVERY 2.2 he's heard does it when its cold.

·
Beaver-ologist
240 Posts
it sounds like something is seriously wrong. at first when i heard the noise i was somewhat nervous. the noise has never gotten worse though. if it doesnt get worse, there is no problem i guess...

·
Aye! Sea Turtles
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My 1st gen did that. Right under the passenger side floor board it would make this really bad clicking noise when I rode it out in first gear. It always stopped after I shifted and never came back until the next morning.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts