S-10 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I was wondering if i can get a little bit a light on this subject, I have a 96 s10 2.2l and the spark plug hole is cross threaded as shit. Not my doing I PROMISE! I was doing plugs when I bought it and i pulled the No. 3 plug out and along came the helicoil from the last owner. Well the hole is so damn warped.

Its beyond a new tap heli coil cause ive tried. So its time for a new head. yay...

I sourced a head from a 97 2.2 and its clean, hot tanked and not warped not cracked. So my question is will that head fit on my 96? and run good? also what should i do while the head is off besides the gasket and head studs.

if someone could help me that would be awesome. thanks so much in advanced.

·
It's "Neanderthal"
5,411 Posts
97 and earlier should work. Check the casting numbers inside next to the valves. Last three digits should be 391 or 391S on each, then it's good to swap.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So as long as the head has that casting numbers its good? does it have to match up to my casting numbers on my current head?
thanks again

·
Registered
401 Posts
Ditto on the casting numbers. I've done this job a couple of times. As far as changing a head goes, this motor is pretty easy. Just take your time tightening down the head bolts. Do them in the right order and a little bit at a time.

·
It's "Neanderthal"
5,411 Posts
Long bolts 46 ft./lbs, short ones 43 ft./lbs, then turn them all another 90 degrees to stretch them, in that "circular" torque sequence pattern.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts