S-10 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Automotive parking light Tire Vehicle Land vehicle Wheel

What exhaust manifolds can I clear the frame with? For now I'm just trying to get it in and running. I will be doing performance mods later so I'm trying to stick with the closest to stock options on it for the time being. Will the Dorman 674-518 and 674-519 manifolds fit this motor?
Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

·
Two tones of terror
825 Posts
I wouldn't run tbi anything in a 96+ truck. They have far better electronics, no need to step backwards. Get a 96+ vortec engine (L31) or put a vortec top end on your tbi engine.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I wouldn't run tbi anything in a 96+ truck. They have far better electronics, no need to step backwards. Get a 96+ vortec engine (L31) or put a vortec top end on your tbi engine.
I plan on swapping intakes and going carbs I just need to find out what type of "stock" exhaust manifold will clear the frame so I can just drive it

·
Been there Done it
15,261 Posts
Was your truck a 2.2 or 4.3? What trans do you intend to use? What are you planning to do for gauges since most will no longer function?

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
need to find out what exhaust manifold will clear
there are swap headers made for this, around $150 dollars, sometimes cheaper. unless youre stuck on stock style manifolds, id use whats been amde to work.

·
Been there Done it
15,261 Posts
@KJF95S-10 is right. An L31 96-02 will bolt in for the most part. Wiring will be simple and you'll be able to keep the entire fuel system. You're going to spend more money on work arounds to get a carb on the TBI than an L31 would cost and end up doing a sh*t load of wiring and fuel mods. Simply a poor choice of engines for a 96+ S10. I know that's not what you want to hear, but it's the true facts. If it was a 94 or earlier truck I'd talk you thru it, as I've done TBI to 5.7 TBI swaps.
Also done Vortec to Vortec. both are easy swaps. When you mix them there are more problems than it's worth. The L31 also has a bunch more power.
It's also illegal in all 50 states and federally to put in an earlier engine design. I know no one cares. Until you try selling it to someone who has to deal with inspections. No way will it pass, anywhere.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts