S-10 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
SlammedSonoma96
904 Posts
The recall for the wipers was to replace the wiper module, because it was known to keep the wipers from working. It is located in the engine compartment, on the firewall. It has one connector going to it, and it has 3 Torx head screws holding the cover on. I used to have the recall number, but I dont work for GM anymore, so I cant provide it for you.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I almost bought a new wiper motor. Instead, if you just take the black cover off the motor, no need to unmount the motor. The circuit board will be exposed. Put the circuit board out, should come off easily. Now look for soldering joints that are cracked, meaning not shinny looking and not full. The soldering joints should look like Hershey's kissess.
When I did it, the joints near the mechanical mechanism were severely cracked. After some re-soldering, wipers never failed, I got all my variable settings back.

Good luck.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Yes it is 99% of the time the solder on the circuit board as patpatpat said. It is very easy to do. I just did the same thing on mine. But when I pulled my circuit board out...the solder wasnt only cracked...some of it had actually fallen off completely. So I just resoldered EVERY major contact to ensure it wouldnt happen again. And now it works fine.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts