S-10 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While looking for a motor for the 92 I am trying to buy I stulbed along a 95 Impala SS motor. Now I also have a 95 witha 4.3 auto. Would this swap be just the same as the first gen? Buy motor mounts, motor. Would the trans still bolt up and not have to be moved? All the accs like AC and all that still work from the 4.3 and what exhaust would I need? Now I see that some of you guys are saying that I would need the comp and harness from the SS, could I just get my comp rewired or anything else? How would I go about that? Still stock Rad? Also is this motor worth 800 with 70,000 on it? Thanks for all the help, I know I have alot of questions... just trying to learn:angel:

·
NOT AN ADMIN!!
2,230 Posts
arnt they the LT1's with iron heads, I know my dad had a 96 LT1 camaro with aluminum heads, thats prolly why the motor is so cheap to buy. good luck with it.

·
Mr. Ghetto Hack
730 Posts
Hey, I also have a 95 Impala SS motor that I'm putting into my 97 2.2.

You need to buy motor mounts, headers, motor, computer, wiring harness, etc. You will need to bring the truck to an exhaust shop to have your exhaust done after the motor is in. I'm not positive, but I think you would need all the power acces. from the 5.7, I don't think the 4.3 accesories will work, but dont quote me on that. I am using a stock 4.3 rad in mine. I paid $400 for my motor with something like 160k miles on it. It was completely disassembled when I bought it. That was ok with me though, because I brought the block and crank to the machine shop, got some work done, and bought new rods and pistons. Next on the list is the LT4 topend package, which includes LT4 aluminum heads, LT4 intake manifold, LT4 HOT Cam, and most of the gaskets you need to rebuild the top of the motor. Let me know if you need any help. If all goes well mine should be done in a month or so.

-Steve

·
Mr. Ghetto Hack
730 Posts
You CAN run your stock trans because you have the 4.3 I have the 2.2 which means my trans wont bolt up. The LT4 package is $2300 from Summit. I bought Ceramic Coated headers from S10v8.com. They seem really nice, no name brand though. Look just like hedmans.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I am a little confused now. So I need to buy the computer and wiring harness from the SS and then get a wiring kit from Lees High tech? or does that allow me to run my stock comp? Also will the tranny hold up if I mildly build this motor?

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Davinator Designs said:
Well I am a little confused now. So I need to buy the computer and wiring harness from the SS and then get a wiring kit from Lees High tech? or does that allow me to run my stock comp? Also will the tranny hold up if I mildly build this motor?
Basically you need the engine, wiring harness, and ECU from the donor car. and depending on how much you build up the engine is determined wether or not the tranny will hold. If you MILDLY build it maybe up to 350 HP at the wheels probably but if you build a monster like 600 hp then probably not.

·
Its that dam ADD!
4,742 Posts
holla at somebody thats done it like me. The 4.3L acc wont work at all. The LT1 has all its stuff on the passenger side to work around the front mounted optispark distributor module/piece of crap. You will need to either have your stock LT1 wiring harness modified by LEEs High Tech to work in the S-10 or modify it yourself so all the ABS, airbag, and stuff like that works right. The stock 4.3 tranny should hold no problem , but the SS or camaro tranny might work a tad better. I think thats where I made my mistake by not going with one and getting the same year Caprice tranny

1 - 12 of 12 Posts