S-10 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I changed all factory wiring and installed aftermarket radio but now after the truck warms up the radio starts randomly shutting its self off and when it goes off head lights get brighter then when u turn radio on they dim I've checked every wire connection and grounds all are good could radio be overheating and if so how do I stop it?

·
Been there Done it
10,518 Posts
What do you mean when you say "I changed all factory wiring"?
You shouldn't need to change the original wiring in the truck in any way.
Did you use Metra 70-1858 for 1988+ GM models or equivalent radio connector for the harness?
Did your radio have a good clear wiring diagram and did you understand exactly where every wire connects?
It's possible you got defective radio, but 99.99% of all wiring issues after a radio swap is something wired wrong or not grounded correctly.
If it's the radio, doesn't it have a warranty?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I mean I ran my own ground my own hot wires my own speaker wires I ran them all side by side to the old ones and it worked fine for weeks and all the sudden one day the radio just started shutting off and I'm not sure if it's under warranty or not it's a dual from Walmart everything I've been reading leads me to believe it's the voltage regulator in the alternator because of the headlights dimming and brightening and now my gauges are starting to fluctuate more than normal

·
B4U Task Force Admin
27,668 Posts
Sure wish punctuation came back in style.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I changed all factory wiring and installed aftermarket radio but now after the truck warms up the radio starts randomly shutting its self off and when it goes off head lights get brighter then when u turn radio on they dim I've checked every wire connection and grounds all are good could radio be overheating and if so how do I stop it?
maybe the radio needs a relay. does the new wiring match the old one like maybe another model doesn't use a relay so it might take a separate wire.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Now I've completely rewired the factory harness running my own wire to the battery and my own ground wire and it still does it

1 - 7 of 7 Posts