S-10 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
IT IS SUCH CHOICE
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was just cleaning my air filter and i noticed there was a little bit of grimmy stuff that settled in the air cleaner box and i thought i better clean the whole air box while im at it. so when i was cleaning it i noticed a weird air deflector thingy in it. its not in the round part, but its in the tube where it connects to the rad support. its also but a silver tin looking hose hooked up to it. it looks like the hose is connected to the exhaust manifold or something. its weird. and where the hose hooks up to it, its got a valve or something in the air intake tube thing. can anyone tell me what it is? it looks like it blocks off the air from comming into my engine but what the **** would you want that for? anyone got any ideas?

·
Registered
4 Posts
essdime said:
i was just cleaning my air filter and i noticed there was a little bit of grimmy stuff that settled in the air cleaner box and i thought i better clean the whole air box while im at it. so when i was cleaning it i noticed a weird air deflector thingy in it. its not in the round part, but its in the tube where it connects to the rad support. its also but a silver tin looking hose hooked up to it. it looks like the hose is connected to the exhaust manifold or something. its weird. and where the hose hooks up to it, its got a valve or something in the air intake tube thing. can anyone tell me what it is? it looks like it blocks off the air from comming into my engine but what the **** would you want that for? anyone got any ideas?
lol its a haet riser! it will run bette if its removed, its sucking some hot air, without it it will only be gettin cold air, and everyone knows rides run betta with cooler air!

·
IT IS SUCH CHOICE
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i kinda figured that but if its ideling or at a red light, it wont be getting as much air right? so does it run off the hot air until its going fast enough to be getting the cold air going through the intake. this is probably a dumb question but ya. also, should i take out the flap thingy and put in a filler plate and weld it shut or what do you suggest. i would just get a cold air intake but i cant find one for it casue its got that stupid 2 post mounting on the tbi

·
Registered
3,833 Posts
It will only pull cool air if it is cool outside. In the summer CAI are useless because it is still just pulling 90 degree air in the intake.

·
Searching no more
2,467 Posts
Dan Plante said:
It will only pull cool air if it is cool outside. In the summer CAI are useless because it is still just pulling 90 degree air in the intake.
Yes, you will be pulling in 90 degree air from a CAI, but if you have a K&N fipk like I have, you'll be pulling it air that's at least 120+ probably. That's a big difference in temperature. I'm not exactly sure how much of a difference it will make in performance, but probably some.

btw, I like the fipk b/c before my rebuild I didn't care too much. I just weighed the benefits of having an open air filter over having the stock intake and decided that I really liked the look of the fipk. Of course, after I get my supercharger, I'll no longer have the fipk.

·
IT IS SUCH CHOICE
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yea i know that but i was wondering if it will be short of air if i am going slow or at idle. just becasue there isnt any air being forced into the intake. so in short, is there any downsides to taking out this flap thingy

1 - 6 of 6 Posts