S-10 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I have 94 extended cab with a sliding rear window that's leaking water into the cab when it rains. Any idea where I could get new seals for it? I checked rock auto top to bottom and had no luck.

·
B4U Task Force Admin
31,210 Posts
Hey all, I have 94 extended cab with a sliding rear window that's leaking water into the cab when it rains. Any idea where I could get new seals for it? I checked rock auto top to bottom and had no luck.
Are you talking about the perimeter seal? I believe those are glued in. Are you sure it's the window and not the 3rd brake light??

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Are you talking about the perimeter seal? I believe those are glued in. Are you sure it's the window and not the 3rd brake light??
No, not the perimeter seal, the seals for the center piece of glass that slides open and closed.

And no, I'm not sure it's not the 3rd brake light. That hadn't even occurred to me. Is that a common issue?

·
Premium Member
2003 Sonoma SLS ext. cab 4.3L / 4x4
899 Posts
No, not the perimeter seal, the seals for the center piece of glass that slides open and closed.
And no, I'm not sure it's not the 3rd brake light. That hadn't even occurred to me. Is that a common issue?
The third brake light is certainly a possibility, and worth investigating, even if for nothing more than potentially eliminating it as a 'suspect'. I have both on my '03 and haven't had an issue with either (so far).

·
B4U Task Force Admin
31,210 Posts

It happens. As for the seals. Ev en if you could get them...doubtful they even make them, the glass isn't removable as individual pieces. I had a pea sized rock come thru the open passenger window and take out the glass on the passenger side. Had to but the entire slider.

·
Premium Member
899 Posts
It happens. As for the seals. Ev en if you could get them...doubtful they even make them, the glass isn't removable as individual pieces. I had a pea sized rock come thru the open passenger window and take out the glass on the passenger side. Had to but the entire slider.
And I think that holds true for most truck rear sliders - they are a 1 piece ('closed') assembly without any real replacement parts. It's pretty much an all or nothing situation.

·
B4U Task Force Admin
31,210 Posts
And I think that holds true for most truck rear sliders - they are a 1 piece ('closed') assembly without any real replacement parts. It's pretty much an all or nothing situation.
A factory slider for my '96 was $750.... It I like insurance.

·
time to get cereal
6,049 Posts
It could also be the pressure vent leaking, it's below the window.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It could also be the pressure vent leaking, it's below the window.
I don't think so as I can see the water puddling in the window track, but I will check it with the third brake light. Thanks for the suggestion.

@Rhotpursuit @aitch. Good to know about the rear window being non-serviceable unit. This is the only truck I've ever owned, so I'm not familiar with such things. Is it possible to swap it for a single pane, or am I stuch with expensive 3 piece units?

·
Premium Member
899 Posts
I don't think so as I can see the water puddling in the window track, but I will check it with the third brake light. Thanks for the suggestion.

@Rhotpursuit @aitch. Good to know about the rear window being non-serviceable unit. This is the only truck I've ever owned, so I'm not familiar with such things. Is it possible to swap it for a single pane, or am I stuch with expensive 3 piece units?
As far as I know, you can certainly switch out to a single fixed rear window. You might want to compare the replacement cost of each option though before deciding. I've got an extended cab and I really appreciate the rear slider (and the accompanying slider on the bed topper). IF you do need to replace the rear window, I would recommend having it done by a glass shop, as the unit can be a bit tricky, the urethane sealant can be a hassle and potentially messy, and there is the possibility of glass breakage if you're not familiar with the procedure.

Also, IIRC, there are (or should be) some weep/ drainage slots at the bottom of the frame - make sure they are clear of any debris/ blockage.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts