S-10 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have availibility of a rear end from a 98 up 4x4 truck with rear disc but i have a 94 2wd with rear drum will i need any special hardware or prop vales to make this work?

·
B4U Task Force Admin
24,562 Posts
Moved to wheel/Tires/Brakes.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
The 4x4 axle is about 4" wider than the 2wd. If you're switching to a low offset wheel like a newer Corvette or Camaro it works well, but otherwise your standard 2wd S10 wheel will poke out.

You can also swap the disc parts to the drum axle, but you'll need a small spacer behind the backing plate to align the caliper with the rotor.

As far as the prop valve, drum and disc brakes require pressure to build in the rear at different times, which is why it is good to have a matching prop valve. I removed a spring on my 91 following directions I had found here and elsewhere when I switched to discs, but it was still not balanced correctly. There are different valves that can be swapped from other cars or you can purchase adjustable valves to dial it in yourself. The adjustable valves will likely need to have the brake lines rerouted though.

Give Google or this forum a good search for rear disc swap and rear disc prop valve for more detailed information.

·
Been there Done it
8,557 Posts
I seem to remember seeing a post where someone recommended using a Corvette prop valve. I believe it was from a C3. One of the 1st Corvettes with 4 wheel discs. Try searching on here for Corvette proportioning valve.

·
Registered
1 Posts
i have availibility of a rear end from a 98 up 4x4 truck with rear disc but i have a 94 2wd with rear drum will i need any special hardware or prop vales to make this work?
4 wheel dics brakes require a 4 wheel disc brake prop valve. maybe a shorter drive shaft and mod's to the e-brake cables.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The 4x4 axle is about 4" wider than the 2wd. If you're switching to a low offset wheel like a newer Corvette or Camaro it works well, but otherwise your standard 2wd S10 wheel will poke out.

You can also swap the disc parts to the drum axle, but you'll need a small spacer behind the backing plate to align the caliper with the rotor.

As far as the prop valve, drum and disc brakes require pressure to build in the rear at different times, which is why it is good to have a matching prop valve. I removed a spring on my 91 following directions I had found here and elsewhere when I switched to discs, but it was still not balanced correctly. There are different valves that can be swapped from other cars or you can purchase adjustable valves to dial it in yourself. The adjustable valves will likely need to have the brake lines rerouted though.

Give Google or this forum a good search for rear disc swap and rear disc prop valve for more detailed information.
If you use a 4x4 s10 wheel on the rear It wont stick out. but it will stick out and look weird when you put the spare on. You can't put 4x4 wheels on a 4x2. I tried when I was looking for a spare. Point is you wouldn't need Corvette or Camaro wheels. you would just run 4x2 wheels in the front and 4x4 wheels in the back and have a 4x2 wheel for a spare, and just know you can't rotate the tires.

·
B4U Task Force Admin
24,562 Posts
Great idea...not. It would look pretty silly having different wheels front and back.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Well then just put 2x4 wheels all the way around cause then they would all match and it will leave the same tire tacks as a mail truck with the narrower front. Even with Camaro wheels going to be different. Unless the rear wheels are wider then the front. witch means you still can't rotate them. So what would the benefit be? I'm sure you can get 4x4 wheels that are the same style to match 2x4 wheels. differences being the offset. I would think they would look similar anuff. Besides more importunately drag racers have different wheels in the wheels in the front then the back and they look cool. Most tractors have different wheels from front to back and they look good. If you do it right it would look good.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts