S-10 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a 94 s10 4.3l tbi 4wd ls and I have replaced all suspension components steering components both cv axles and hubs and a 2.5” rough country lift kit new upper a arms upper ball joints and axle bracket and before all of that it started to make a clanging noise coming from the front left wheel when I hit a bump or turn right into a curve it will make the noise like clang cla clang and I’m having an issue as to what this might be because I’ve replaced and done all of the description above and I checked the bumper stops as well I have a headache over this and my dad told me to start an s10forum and try this thanks to who ever helps!!!

·
Mr Goodwrench's Evil Twin
299 Posts
new upper a arms upper ball joints
How are the ball joints and bushings on the lower control arms? Also check differential carrier bushings, especially if it's ever had or currently has a left axle seal leak... the gear oil rots the bushings if it gets on them

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
New upper and lower ball joints new tie rods new upper a arm new pitman arm new shocks and I change both front and rear gear oil and new cv axles everything’s greased

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don’t know about the lower arm bushings They look ok but never know till I take it apart and the cv axle bolts to the differential it doesn’t go inside the diff just bolts to it I change them today and there was no leak around the diff where the cv and diff bolt in place

·
Chopper! Sic balls!
39,283 Posts
You sure it's not the exhaust moving around or something like that? Maybe try to get it to make the sound with someone outside of the vehicle to try and pinpoint the noise.

·
299 Posts
I don’t know about the lower arm bushings They look ok but never know till I take it apart and the cv axle bolts to the differential it doesn’t go inside the diff just bolts to it I change them today and there was no leak around the diff where the cv and diff bolt in place
You can check the bushings with a pry bar. I took a few quick videos of my bushings when they were bad awhile back. I can't attach video on here, so I uploaded the clips to my MEGA storage account. You can view them on there, I'll put links below. They'll give you an idea what to look for. Keep in mind that my bushings were REALLY bad. They were causiing the same type of noise you're describing. Few months later the noise came back, was the diff carrier bushing that time.

Also, do you have any slop in your steering? Could be coming from the steering box. As already stated above, try to duplicate the sound while you're listening to it. Have somebody jump on the bumper or something...

Clip 1
Clip 2

·
Been there Done it
6,325 Posts
My 94 4x4 had a clunk when hitting bumps and turning right. Turned out the transmission mount had separated. Didn't sound like that's where it was coming from, but replacing the mount put an end to it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just recently had my tranny and motor mounts replaced and the sound is coming from the left wheel but I never thought about the exhaust but u can feel it in the floor bored when it hits and the steering like the whole front left side u can feel it I just recently had new y pipe new piping and muffler back redone with a catalytic converter delete and and I’m getting new headers but I’ll check some more thanks to all of you for great ideas helps out a lot I’ll check out this videos too thanks guys !

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So this is what we’re looking at I check the exhaust hit it a couple time hard it never moved or banged up against anything else check the bushings on the lower control arm they are worn and could be replaced and I check the steering gearbox I used a dead blow hammer on it and it didn’t make any noise the only part that moves is the shaft which should move lol it doesn’t move up and down just around like when you turn the wheel my guess is the lower control arm bushings if not that then I don’t know

Attachments

·
299 Posts
I see 2 issues with your bushings. I highlighted the issues in your pics, see below. First is kinda hard to tell from the pic but it looks like the bushing has a tear in it. It looks like it's in the early stages of failure, but could very well be the source of the noise.

Second is that there is a gap between the bushing and the control arm. That shouldn't be there, but the fact that it is doesn't necessarily mean its a problem. It should be flush against the control arm. Those bushing are a press fit and the control arm at some point in time has shifted on the bushing. Generally that's not that big of a problem, a pothole can cause that. That's probably not the noise, but with that being said, it's worth trying to stick a prybar in that gap and try to pry it in a way that the gap would get bigger or smaller. If it does, then that is almost certainly the noise and you'll need to replace the entire control arm, not just the bushings.

That exhaust does look a little close, but if you pulled and pushed on it and it didn't make contact, should be ok there.

For the steering box, turn you steering wheel a little bit back in forth while watching the front wheels. Take note of how much free play is the steering, meaning how much does the steering wheel move back and forth and the wheels don't move. If the steering wheel moves more than an inch or two without moving the front wheels, there is an issue somewhere in the steering that could be causing the noise. Hope that made sense.

Attachments

·
299 Posts
One other thing, you said it had new upper and lower ball joints but in the pic, that lower ball joint looks like it has been in there for awhile. It has been replaced at some point, but it doesn't look new.

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have been having the same thing going on with my 95 4x4 I have gone thru everything also . With mine I'm thinking it's coming from the front differential . Mine will make the clunk when I first put in reverse, then when I go in drive , start forward . If I put it in 4x4 high or low I dont hear it at all . I'm not sure what's causing it or what to do next I'm hoping someone on here can help

·
Registered
104 Posts
I remember years ago there was a tsb issued on loose hood bolts causing a clunking noise due to excessive clearance during side to side motions.

·
Administrator
20,896 Posts
They make a wavy washer for the hood bolts. Mine have never made any noise so I can't confirm the sound, or if the washers worked.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
About this Discussion
16 Replies
8 Participants
rimara
S-10 Forum
S10forum is the community to discuss the S-Series, Chevrolet Colorado and GMC Canyon. Join to discuss rebuilds, modifications, tech articles and more!
Full Forum Listing