S-10 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
kick his ass seabass
3,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
okay, my blazer will start to load up while at idle. you can mash the gas and out comes smoke as if its flooding. what could be the cause of this? the performance is not there either while driving. i know it needs a tune up, but i have never changed the o2 sensor and it has almost 160k on it. will this clear up the loading?

·
Registered
608 Posts
In Yee olden days, a tune-up meant a compression check was included. Nowadays I guess we are lucky it means someone changes the spark plugs?

Seems to me you feel as though it is running rich? Complete tuneup is first step. Including timing and then a compression check. If you have not changed the darn O2 sensor(s) , then you may as well count on that too. Be sure that if you do get it out (easier when hot most of the time) that you also put plenty of hi-temp anti- seize back on the new one.

Injectors may be spitting out too much fuel for lots of reasons. Any codes? Soapy water will help with a vacuum leak. Just change out as many of the simple vacuum lines and connectors as possible. Had a vacuum hose that used to collapse when the hood was down. Silly, right? Worked great with the hood up. getting pinched at back of hood. Believe it or not, it was a 94 Blazer with 4.3.

Found out about all that vacuum stuff on an old Plymouth Fury slant six my sister owned. She brought it by about once ever 2 years for about 10, just to fix vacuum lines. Many more on that Blazer, right?

Sensors of all kind may be at work doing badly, but codes show up. The EGR is always a major culprit and not cheap either. Odds are that is it not operating as it should. Idle is where it has to behave correctly all the time. Dont forget such simple things as the PCV valve. Amazing problems can be cures. It should be changed as part of the tune-up.

Make sure to get plugs intended for that motor, I prefer the ones Chevy originally intended, not something else.

Oil and all filters are also on the list of a complete tuneup. Not the rest of the world, but me anyway.

After all this is done you may be able to actually start thinking of what the problem might be.

Is the cat any good?

·
black culture thief?!
1,702 Posts
Your spider injector/nut kit is probably leaking. Do a search, is your fuel mileage horrible?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts