S-10 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having a weird problem with my transmission in my '94 2.2l s10. When driving it feels different every time. Then on the freeway a couple of times the transmission completely missed a gear and the revs of the engine went up high without actually moving the truck. Then after about a second or two, it slammed itself back into a gear (all while going 55-60mph). It quit doing that for a while, but then started missing gears (I think that's what it's doing) going slower at speeds between 30-50mph. Had to limp home when that happened. Transmission fluid was black, or dark, and didn't look right. Did a minor flush without dropping the pan, but didn't help.

Now it's doing something weird. When in OVERDRIVE, it shifts through the gears and might be locking up the converter, but when I let off the gas to coast to a stop, it gets stuck in a gear or something and deaccelerates the truck so hard that it feels as though someone is engaging the brake. After it does this, dropping down to an even slower speed, it kicks itself out of that gear and coasts to a stop. However, when I have it set in just DRIVE, it will cycle through the gears just fine and when coasting to a stop without my foot on the gas or brake, it does not get caught up and slow the truck down like when it's in OVERDRIVE. I already tested to see if it was stuck in LOCKUP by tapping the brake and it wasn't. Almost like it's stuck in a gear it won't shift out of when deaccelerating, but only in overdrive.

Anyone know what's going on or have had similar instances happen to them? Maybe a 2-3 shift solenoid, not sure.

Thanks in advance for any help!

·
Registered Offender
713 Posts
It is less likely that the root cause is a failing solenoid, and more likely that the direct (3-4) clutch stack is not holding, the forward sprag is not holding, and possibly the 2-4 band accumulator is holding fluid. That's not to say that some wear and damage will not be found when going through the valve body, and that some damage to the separator plate and checks will also be found, but that is relatively normal when rebuilding a 4L60.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts