S-10 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1993 Chevy S10 Blazer Tahoe 4WD
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,
First time poster! I recently picked up my dream car, a 2-door 1993 S10 Blazer. I have been tinkering on it the past few days, fixing little things. However the transmission (4L60E) has a problem that I'm not quite sure where to start with. I'll try to describe it as best I can so y'all can get a better idea of what's going on:
When the transmission is cold, it shifts perfectly. But once it warms up, it starts to shift improperly. It won't go into first gear (unless I manually select it) and will shift from second to third at about 15-20 mph, which bogs the engine wayyyy down. If I let off the gas, it immediately downshifts, but as soon as I hit the gas again it goes right back into third gear. I've found a temporary workaround by shifting it manually, but I'd like to know if this is something I can fix by replacing a sensor or if I should just head to the junkyard.
I know this was the first year the 4L60E was used in S10s so it's possible all the new stuff was prone to issues?
Anyway let me know what you think. Coming from owning a Honda I'm a little rusty when it comes to tearing cars apart, but I'll get back into it in no time. ;)
Thanks in advance!

·
Been there Done it
12,468 Posts
Sounds like it's in "limp" mode. The PCM isn't happy for some reason. Check the codes or head to a trans shop for a diagnosis. Use caution in dealing with a trans shop, tho. They make their money rebuilding transmissions. Get more than one opinion. Usually a local reputable shop will be honest with you and if it needs just a solenoid, blown fuse, or such they'll tell you. Avoid chain stores like Aamco. It's been my experience they lie.

Reactions: S10Savannah

·
Registered
1993 Chevy S10 Blazer Tahoe 4WD
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds like it's in "limp" mode. The PCM isn't happy for some reason. Check the codes or head to a trans shop for a diagnosis. Use caution in dealing with a trans shop, tho. They make their money rebuilding transmissions. Get more than one opinion. Usually a local reputable shop will be honest with you and if it needs just a solenoid, blown fuse, or such they'll tell you. Avoid chain stores like Aamco. It's been my experience they lie.
Good info, thanks! I spent all day scouring the internet for issues like this one, and it does sound like it's in limp mode. I checked all the fuses (triple checked the TCCM fuse) and everything seemed good, so I'm at a standstill for now. Not to worry though, I have a plan. 😎

Since I have CarQuest employee pricing on car parts, I'm gonna put a new throttle position sensor on and do a trans fluid drain and fill before I do anything else. As a first time Chevy owner I'm always surprised at how widely available and cheap parts are for this thing!

If that doesn't do anything, then my local transmission repair shop will be seeing a lot of me. I love tearing apart cars, but transmissions are way above my pay grade. Best left to the pros!

Cheers

Savannah

1 - 3 of 3 Posts