S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1993 Chevrolet S10 2.8L v6
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, this is my first post so sorry if I get anything wrong. I've recently been working on my S10 and have had a problem with it where the check engine light is on, and when the engine revs, right after, it drops very low and almost dies, but then returns to normal idle. I've recently changed the spark plugs, spark plug wires, and throttle position sensor because I thought that could be the issue. I can't for the life of me figure this out and would appreciate any help at all. Thanks!

·
Registered
98 2.2 Extended cab, 2001 V6 Extended cab Sport Suspension, 2001 V6 Extended Cab 4x4
582 Posts
Sounds like a clogged cat to me. These older computers didn't have a limp home mode. They could barely handle the fuel and spark map functions.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds like a clogged cat to me. These older computers didn't have a limp home mode. They could barely handle the fuel and spark map functions.
Cat like catalytic converter right? I'll take a look at it. Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
98 2.2 Extended cab, 2001 V6 Extended cab Sport Suspension, 2001 V6 Extended Cab 4x4
582 Posts
Yup that's the one!

·
Registered
582 Posts
Sounds like a great plan, almost everything is stock on it so I'll check up on it. Anything else I should replace from your experience?
Just make sure the nut behind the steering wheel is good and tight! :p:ROFLMAO:

Reactions: Hopsnake

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
And this could throw a service engine soon light, right?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The only bad part about it is I can't pass emissions now, which sucks.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Obd 1 (or ALDL in GM speak) has no cat health monitoring capabilities.

·
94 4x4,01 Blazer
2001 Blazer 4dr 4wd LT
1,354 Posts
cap,rotor, fuel filter, then get a aftermarket cat to fit.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hey all, this is my first post so sorry if I get anything wrong. I've recently been working on my S10 and have had a problem with it where the check engine light is on, and when the engine revs, right after, it drops very low and almost dies, but then returns to normal idle. I've recently changed the spark plugs, spark plug wires, and throttle position sensor because I thought that could be the issue. I can't for the life of me figure this out and would appreciate any help at all. Thanks!
Hello, did you check to see which code it's throwing since the check engine light is on?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hello, did you check to see which code it's throwing since the check engine light is on?
I did! It's just throwing 21 over and over again, the website I checked said that it's a TPS but when I replaced it the car didn't stop the code.

·
Registered
10 Posts
GM OBD Trouble Code 21
Throttle Position Sensor Error (Signal High)
The Throttle Position sensor signals the Engine Control Module as to the current position of the engine throttle valve. The current throttle valve opening is based on the driver's input from the gas pedal. The ECM uses the information from this sensor to help calculate fuel delivery and spark timing.
Fault Code Description
Symptoms
  • Extended cranking, possible no-start condition
  • Lack of power
  • Erratic transmission operation
Common Problems
  • A failed Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) or broken wires near the sensor are the most common causes for code 21
  • Testing the TPS circuit would involve checking voltage and ground from the ECM—5v is the normal reading between the ECM reference circuit and the ECM ground circuit at the TPS connector. Checking the TPS signal circuit to the ECM would involve monitoring the TPS signal on a scan tool while jumping the 5v reference and the signal circuits. The TPS reading should go from high when the circuit is "jumpered" to low when the jumper is removed.
Broken wire near the sensor a good possibility.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts