S-10 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
Wanted to get some opinions of a truck I am looking at. It is a 93 S-10 ext. cab 4x4 (push button), 4.3L V6, 110,00 on it, a/c, etc. There is no rust on it, no leaks that i can see, nice truck. I need to know if this truck with this engine is a reliable vehicle & how expensive it will be to work on (in general) if something goes wrong. I'm 18 & have some experiance working on cars but not a whole lot. I need a truck that is going to last me a good while. Thanks for your thoughts.

·
Registered
619 Posts
CPI motor or TBI

CPI is more expensive to fix and prone to injector/spider problems at around 100000 miles or so.... CPI owners are going to deny it.....but its what my father (mechanic for 25 years) and myself have seen.

TBI is very reliable and generally very easy to fix with low costs

the 4.3 is about as reliable as reliable gets..... i personally have seen them go 300,000miles with no problem..... they used them since the 70s and on through till 2003, they are a dieing breed now and gm is ending their production with the s10s. All of those motors are interchangable and have no major changes (except for a balancer and head/intake design change)

the trannies are good but generally last 150000 miles and need rebuilt... like most trannies. however they are cheap and easy to rebuild and very common to find parts for. if the tranny was well maintained and not abused it could easily go 150000 +.

the trucks were all around good trucks.. hence their 20 years of production.. body parts for that model are fairly cheap and very abundant and so are replacement parts.... if it looks good, runs good... cant really go wrong... if your buying from a dealer, get a warranty.... dealers are good at doctoring things up.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Run a carfax report on it(should be free if your'e looking at a dealer) and if possible put it on a lift to check it out.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts