S-10 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a 93 s15 jimmy. vortec, 4x4.

when I bought it I knew something was going on with the brakes, they were spongy. I saw that the fluid was a dark brown so figured there was water in the system, so after purchase I took it to a shop to have them flush the old stuff out. They told me that no fluid was coming out of the bleeder, and that they even took out the bleeders and only a tiny amount came out of the passenger side front.

The abs light comes on sometimes and other times does not. I'm not 100% where to go from here, I've done some searching and see that there are many different resources but none that match my current issue specifically.

I've spoken to many people, some say brake lines, some say master cylinder, some say abs. You all know these trucks, what can you tell me before I go and start replacing things?

I do believe as of right now I have no front brakes. I stopped hard once to test the system and the abs did not engage properly on the rear brakes, however they didn't lockup either.

I can answer any questions just let me know. And I appreciate the help.

·
goin broke but n style
12,942 Posts
i would crack the line in the fender well where the metal line connects to the rubber line. if you get fluid flow than you may have a colaspes rubber lines. If this is the case i would replace both frt rubber lines and flush brakes a few times to make sure you get out any contaminates.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Today I replaced the front brake hoses, got my front brakes back, bled out all the nasty fluid and the truck stops alot better.

However. I cannot get the brakes to lockup going forward. the pedal is still pretty squishy even after all the bleeding I did on all 4 wheels. when I brake hard the pedal goes down pretty hard, but the brakes don't lockup, nor does the abs engage.

I'm looking now for a way to get a much firmer pedal, and either abs engaging or the brakes locking up. I'm glad the brakes are in better shape but I would like a little better setup.

I'm also wondering if I need to bleed the abs somehow. I'm not sure how that works, but after bleeding everything else connected to the system, I'm wondering if the cause of the pedal squish is air in the abs somehow.

·
goin broke but n style
12,942 Posts
possible bad master cylinder.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts