S-10 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1993 S10 regular cab short bed 2.5 5 speed 2wd
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m making this post cause I wanna make sure I’m doing the right thing and wondering if there’s any other thoughts or ideas

93 s10 5 speed 2wd, I’ve been wanting to buy it for a while and finally got it knowing what happened to it
Engine stopped running one day, two of the valves are stuck wide open, one on 4 and one on 2, and the corresponding rods are bent up too.
I’ve got it all pulled out and the lower end seems fine, pistons and everything look and move good.
My thoughts are, new lifters, new pushrods, new head, head gasket set and head bolts, and it needs an exhaust manifold too. I’m about ready to order all the stuff, but before I jump the gun is there anything else I should be worried about? Camshaft or timing chain?
I’ve got 4 other trucks but they are all gas guzzling lifted hogs so I wanted to keep this truck stock with how crazy gas prices are now

·
Registered
86 Posts
I’m making this post cause I wanna make sure I’m doing the right thing and wondering if there’s any other thoughts or ideas

93 s10 5 speed 2wd, I’ve been wanting to buy it for a while and finally got it knowing what happened to it
Engine stopped running one day, two of the valves are stuck wide open, one on 4 and one on 2, and the corresponding rods are bent up too.
I’ve got it all pulled out and the lower end seems fine, pistons and everything look and move good.
My thoughts are, new lifters, new pushrods, new head, head gasket set and head bolts, and it needs an exhaust manifold too. I’m about ready to order all the stuff, but before I jump the gun is there anything else I should be worried about? Camshaft or timing chain?
I’ve got 4 other trucks but they are all gas guzzling lifted hogs so I wanted to keep this truck stock with how crazy gas prices are now
Depends on why the top end got damaged. Did you over-rev it and float the valves? Or did the cam break or stop rotating?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Depends on why the top end got damaged. Did you over-rev it and float the valves? Or did the cam break or stop rotating?
The previous owner daily drove the truck around town and I know that he never once hot rodded it. It just stopped running one day and he took it to a shop that found the bent rods. Oil was fine, but I bought it off him and pulled the head and found the valves stuck.
It’s been raining heavy but I was going to pull the access panel off when I get a chance to pull out the lifters. I haven’t looked at the camshaft yet, I didn’t think it would be a problem but did some reading and saw that it’s a somewhat common issue on these so I got worried

·
Registered
86 Posts
The previous owner daily drove the truck around town and I know that he never once hot rodded it. It just stopped running one day and he took it to a shop that found the bent rods. Oil was fine, but I bought it off him and pulled the head and found the valves stuck.
It’s been raining heavy but I was going to pull the access panel off when I get a chance to pull out the lifters. I haven’t looked at the camshaft yet, I didn’t think it would be a problem but did some reading and saw that it’s a somewhat common issue on these so I got worried
I was driving my dad's Scout one day in high school. I needed a jump, and had a friend crank it. He screwed around and over revved it because it was a V8 with glass packs & sounded good. And floated the valves & bent a push road. Because the motor was tapping, my dad parked it, for 20 years. Even though I told him what was wrong, and simple repair, He was so pissed he would not it let me touch it. Eventually, one of his old friends kicked him in the butt and helped him get it going again. And sure enough, there were 2 bent rods. It was fine after he replaced them.
My point is, who knows what happened when the previous owner had it?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was driving my dad's Scout one day in high school. I needed a jump, and had a friend crank it. He screwed around and over revved it because it was a V8 with glass packs & sounded good. And floated the valves & bent a push road. Because the motor was tapping, my dad parked it, for 20 years. Even though I told him what was wrong, and simple repair, He was so pissed he would not it let me touch it. Eventually, one of his old friends kicked him in the butt and helped him get it going again. And sure enough, there were 2 bent rods. It was fine after he replaced them.
My point is, who knows what happened when the previous owner had it?
That’s a good point. I just ordered all the parts for it the other day. Is there a good way of seeing if the camshaft is broken without pulling it out?

·
Registered
86 Posts
That’s a good point. I just ordered all the parts for it the other day. Is there a good way of seeing if the camshaft is broken without pulling it out?
Cams usually only break in high performance / high load motors.
You can try rotate the crank via the crank pulley and observe the valve train with cover off. But...Odds are the plastic timing gear stripped.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Will a head from an 88 s10 duke work on my motor? Or alternatively, the entire engine if I use the 93s manifolds and wiring and sensors? Asking because I can get an entire motor and transmission locally with 98k for less than what I paid for the head, that is still over 2 months out on shipping.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts