S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im new to S-10,s . I am looking at a 92 ext. cab,Tahoe,5 speed,ac, 2wd. with 103k. Its the original owner.Its in nice shape. Is the V6 2.8 a good motor ? How come its not fuel injected?Any know problems with this truck? I will be using it to drive to work and back and forth to Home Depot because I just bought a house. The seller accepted my offer of 2,700,is this a fair price for me to pay? ? Thanks for any info. Rich...

·
Registered
12,726 Posts
Unless you mistyped and it is a 1982 truck it is fuel injected. All S-Series started with fuel injection in 1986. That motor should have TBI fuel injection. As for 2.8l's they are ok not too quick not too powerful but they do the job as long as they are taken care of. As for the truck itself the main problems are usualy body rust otherwise they are pretty solid. and for price that sounds ok but ya might wanna try a bit lower it all depends on how well maintained the truck was esp the motor.

·
Self Portrait
1,632 Posts
2,700 Sounds a little high

Back in August I picked up a '92 S-10 Tahoe 4.3L regular cab 2WD, Auto,AC,PS,PB,PW,PDL,Cruse, tilt with an Alpine AM/FM/Cass for the low, low price or $1000. I was on the prowl for a truck for about 3 weeks before I found this one. The guy wanted more but I got it for the $1000 cause cash talks!

Good luck with your purchase!

Rick

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks , it is a 92. .What does TBI stand for?
Its the original owner and he has maintained it nice . The paint is a little faded but no rust . What is a Tahoe Package ? Thanks , Rich

·
Registered
12,726 Posts
rfiglia said:
Thanks , it is a 92. .What does TBI stand for?
Its the original owner and he has maintained it nice . The paint is a little faded but no rust . What is a Tahoe Package ? Thanks , Rich
Tahoe is the trim level There were a few diffrent ones my blazer is a Sport there was also a Durango level too Tahoe is rumored to be the highest but between that and my sport the only diffrences I have noticed is the sport doesnt have chrome trim on the grille and tail's and thats about it. TBI is Throttle Body Injection wich is like a carb but thats as far as it goes.

·
FLAVOR FLAV!!!
344 Posts
I'd say 2700 is pretty good, but i payed a lot more for mine, but i'd rather not talk about that. I have a 92 Standard Cab Sonoma SLE w/ 2.8 5spd. Mine has been great, i've had to put a new thermostat and clutch in it. Currently it has 124,000, and its doin great. People say they aren't that fast, but i really think they are i've beat quite a few people, even a 98 4.3 Blazer, so if the 2.8 is slow then so is the 4.3. Mine does have some slight rust at the bottom of the doors, but other than that my truck is great.

·
Self Portrait
1,632 Posts
How about 3K for my truck!

If you can come up with an extra 800 you can buy my truck. I'll take $3500 for it. and I've got a 4.3L! and all the factory goodies.

Rick

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
$2700 is pretty damn good. If only I paid that much for mine... :D

Sounds like a deal, go for it. S-10's own.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Depends on how often he changed

the oil! My 2.8 ran great & we changed the oil every 3000. The intake gasket let coolant into the crankcase at 173,000 mi. I did not change the bearings and the bearings started knockin' at 193,000 mi. I'm now at 201,500 w/ the crate engine.:thumbup:

Attachments

·
Long Bed Member
3,065 Posts
$2700 sounds pretty good ,i payed $1000 for mine with a wrecked front end :D

·
gumby green
3,478 Posts
2700 is nice, i should've gotten something like that, instead i bought my s10 with the Cameo El package and 66k on the odomether for 4000, i know it was a little high on my part but it runs nice. good deal :thumbup:

·
Registered
6 Posts
92 w/2.8 -> 206 thousand miles and going strong

Just thought I'd let you know, the 2.8 CAN be a great motor, or it can be a pile of junk. I'm the original owner of my 92 and have NEVER had a problem with it. It never even leaked until just about 2 months ago - rear intake gasket is only rtv.

On the other hand, my uncle had one , I think it was a little older, but it only managed 70 thousand miles before it gave up. I guess the way the oil delivery system is laid out, the oil can take a while to get to the critical parts.

On the whole, though, I'm VERY happy with my 2.8 . No, it's only got about 130hp now, but it sure pulls strong for it's size and it purrs like a kitten.

Good luck.:thumbup:

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
wow, you did that FAST

Nice job.

Sorry the picture's so big. Didn't think about that until afterward.

Actually, it's 100% stock and original except for 3 things: it's got a 5-speed from a 99 (as mine started losing 2nd gear synchros), a K&N replacement filter and a Flowmaster cat-back with low-restriction catalytic. I like it the way it is because I use it for what a truck is meant - towing, and carrying stuff. Well, it's my daily driver, too. Lowering it is not an option for me. Though, I admit, I do like the "short" look sometimes.

Thanks for the modified picture.

·
Registered
66 Posts
2.8's are decent. go for it. although 2700 may be above blue book. check it, and use it as a tool to beat him down.

Attachments

·
Pssst.. Got Bags?? Yep!!!
128 Posts
Re: 2,700 Sounds a little high

rhenry01 said:
Back in August I picked up a '92 S-10 Tahoe 4.3L regular cab 2WD, Auto,AC,PS,PB,PW,PDL,Cruse, tilt with an Alpine AM/FM/Cass for the low, low price or $1000. I was on the prowl for a truck for about 3 weeks before I found this one. The guy wanted more but I got it for the $1000 cause cash talks!

Good luck with your purchase!

Rick
Man they got me good. i bought a 1993 S10 89,000 Miles
lowered 2/2 w/rims I paid 5,000 In Immaculate Condition
2.8 L V6 5-speed manual
I Got Ripped

Dont pay too much

·
Registered
6 Posts
My 92 S10 Tahoe

The 2.8L IS fuel injected. It's throttle body fuel injected, so it's got a standard air cleaner like what you're used to seeing on a carburated engine. I've got over 206 thousand miles on my little truck and she's never let me down unless the battery was dead. Well, the fuel pump went at 150 thousand miles, but that was kinda expected as I had just ran in COMPLETELY out of gas the prior week, so the pump picked up all the crud at the bottom of the tank and it just didn't have a chance. Try not to EVER run it below 1/8 of a tank. You're asking for trouble.

Anyway, at 206 thousand miles, she still runs WONDERFULLY. Purrs like a kitten and still has as much power as she did the day I bought her new, if not more. I do regular oil changes every 3 thousand miles and each time I change the oil I put in a bottle of fuel injector cleaner. I keep the PCV valve changed regularly, too, to keep any crud from building-up in the motor. Other than that, I just let her warm up before I really put her to work. Cold engines don't handle rpms very well and over time you'd kill it.

$2700 sounds like a good deal, depending on how good the body and interior are. If you're happy, buy it.

Good luck.

ONE LAST THING ... if the heater core needs replaced .... MAKE THEM DO IT. It's horrible.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hey, the prices you guys talk about all sound pretty damn cool, I wish we could buy trucks for that kind of money!
Here a few examples of what they're asking around here!
'92 single cab s/b tahoe 4.3 asking price 5.500,- euro
'91 single cab s/b base 2.5 (in black primer paint!) 3.500,- euro
'92 single cab tahoe 4.3 asking price 8.950 euro!!!
The last one is for sale at a large US car dealership
I consider myself extremely lucky to find a '92 4.3 Ext.cab Tahoe Auto. with a wrecked front end (not so bad), I'm gonna fix it up with parts from an '88 GMC Jimmy as S10's don't grow on trees in europe (So I think I'm gonna be the only one in the world with a '92 disguised as an '88, hahaha) and I think I will get it ready for the total price of around 3.000,- to 3.500,- euro. (excluding all my customizing ideas of cause!!
Btw 1,- euro equals around $0,90

1 - 20 of 31 Posts