S-10 Forum banner
41 - 60 of 61 Posts

· Registered
21 Posts
The O2 sensor should be under the truck on the passenger side exhaust about 6 inches behind the engine. It will usually be on the top of the pipe. The main O2 sensor wire harness probably comes out through the firewall under the ac / heater unit then goes to the O2 sensor.

The cruise control wire should plug in on the lower steering column close to where the other wires go inside of the column.

Attachments

· Registered
!992 S10 4.3l 4x4
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Hello Scott, you are the man!!! Thanks to you I finally found out the problem is. When I had the dual exhaust put on, he cut the wires & crammed them between the casing for the evaporator core & the back of the engine. Well the plug was had fell on top of the exhaust manifold & over time melted & the metal part of the plug was touching the manifold. Now's here my luck, I had found the wires running to that plug a while back, but the plug had melted & was stuck to the manifold I had tried to pull the wires but it was stuck so good that I thought that the set of wires had a clamp that was bolted to the engine. It was such a tight spot that I couldn't see what was actually going on. So today, after knowing what I was looking for, I never could feel where the wires went to after that. So I took the inner fender well off & saw what had happened. I still had to take a screwdriver to break it loose. Then seeing the plug the way it is.my heart fluttered because I knew that was it. So I put a fuse in held my breath & turned the switch on. The neighbors probably thought I had went crazy, because I was so happy that I couldn't contain myself (After 3 weeks of looking for the problem). I truly appreciate you sticking with me to the end Scott. Not many if any would of stayed this long trying to help me. If there is anyway I can repay you for all the time & effort you have given, just please let me know. Again Thank you, & wishing you & yours a very Blessed & Safe Thanksgiving.
Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive fuel system Automotive tire Automotive exterior
Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive fuel system Automotive tire Automotive exterior

· Premium Member
2003 Sonoma SLS ext. cab 4.3L / 4x4
1,814 Posts
Congratulations! I've been following this thread, and glad it has ended well. I can imagine how aggravating this must have been, but diligence and persistence has triumphed after all. Happy motoring again. Are you planning on 'discussing' this with the fella that did your exhaust system? For me, I'd be down to his shop pronto to share some "feedback". And now, you can relax a bit and start regrowing all of the hair you've been pulling out!

· Registered
!992 S10 4.3l 4x4
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Absolutely, he is going to get an ear full. Especially how long it has taken, but that's not counting getting it all back together. I have every plug under the dash disconnected, not counting the dash its self, the inst. cluster, & all switches, plus under the hood. So I'm looking at around 2 days to get all this back together. Thank you for the comments, it has truly been a learning experience, but the end has made all the garbage easier to digest. Happy Turkey Day!!!

· Premium Member
1,814 Posts
Absolutely, he is going to get an ear full. Especially how long it has taken, but that's not counting getting it all back together. I have every plug under the dash disconnected, not counting the dash its self, the inst. cluster, & all switches, plus under the hood. So I'm looking at around 2 days to get all this back together. Thank you for the comments, it has truly been a learning experience, but the end has made all the garbage easier to digest. Happy Turkey Day!!!
Here's a thought - have it towed back to his shop (on his nickel of course), and let him eat the cost of fully reassembling the truck back to fully functional condition! What could possibly go wrong with that? Yeah, like that's gonna happen, but one can fantasize now and then. :rolleyes: And Happy T-Day to you as well.

· Registered
!992 S10 4.3l 4x4
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Yes I know what is already coming. He will be the male version of Queen Cleopatra, King of De-Nile. I shutter at the thought of letting him put it back together, but maybe I shouldn't be too hard on him. He really did a excellent job on the exhaust. If you didn't know that a 4.3l was in the truck you'd swear it was a V8. Many people have ask what I was running & a few didn't believe it was a 4.3l. But if you want your truck to sound off, on Amazon I bought the mufflers from I think it was called Blackheart Racing, anyway to me it is the perfect sound, not to loud & not to quiet but it is unreal of the sound that this V6 makes. Can video be downloaded here? If so once I get it back together I will put a video of how it sounds if you're interested. I can also send a link for the mufflers. They are small for the sound I think the dimensions are like 4"x7"x12" something like that anyway it's close. Oh yeah I forgot to mention I gave less than $60 for the pair. I'm not sure of the price now but I wouldn't think it would be a whole lot more. If interested just let me know.

· Premium Member
1,814 Posts
Yes I know what is already coming. He will be the male version of Queen Cleopatra, King of De-Nile. I shutter at the thought of letting him put it back together, but maybe I shouldn't be too hard on him. He really did a excellent job on the exhaust. If you didn't know that a 4.3l was in the truck you'd swear it was a V8. Many people have ask what I was running & a few didn't believe it was a 4.3l. But if you want your truck to sound off, on Amazon I bought the mufflers from I think it was called Blackheart Racing, anyway to me it is the perfect sound, not to loud & not to quiet but it is unreal of the sound that this V6 makes. Can video be downloaded here? If so once I get it back together I will put a video of how it sounds if you're interested. I can also send a link for the mufflers. They are small for the sound I think the dimensions are like 4"x7"x12" something like that anyway it's close. Oh yeah I forgot to mention I gave less than $60 for the pair. I'm not sure of the price now but I wouldn't think it would be a whole lot more. If interested just let me know.
Yeah, based on his prior 'performance', it's best to let him quit while he'd behind. If back in his hands, it would seem entirely possible you'd end up with other "issues" when you got it back. But, he certainly needs to ne made aware of his screw up. And if his business has a website, it may have a place to leave comments. You certainly can post videos on here, so by all means do. Members are interested to see other projects (the good, the bad, and even the ugly!).

· B4U Task Force Admin
34,481 Posts
Upload it to YouTube.

· Registered
!992 S10 4.3l 4x4
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Okie Dokie, will do. I'm definitely going to comment on what he has done. Maybe he will think twice about what to do, if he cuts someone's O2 sensor off. Hopefully this will help people in the future. I'm not going to just rag about what he did wrong, I'm also going to state the great job he did with the exhaust. Then people can make up their own mind about having work done there. He also gave me a great price on the job, $200. Now I did furnish the mufflers, but he furnished the pipe, 2 chrome end pipes, the hangers, & the welding.

· Been there Done it
15,784 Posts
Sounds like a good deal. Maybe it was his on the job training rate. Once he learns how to do it right he'll be able to charge more. You'd think anyone who knew what thy were doing would know that contact between O2 sensor wiring and the exhaust is a common ongoing problem that happens way too often and an exhaust pro should be the last person to not prevent it.
Whenever anyone on here asks about O2 issues we always tell them to look for rubbing or burned wires.

Reactions: aitch

· Registered
!992 S10 4.3l 4x4
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
All thanks to you!!! I should be able to get it back together, but if I do run into a problem I know who I can count on. Thank you for everything. Hopefully I'll have it back on the road this evening!!!

· Registered
!992 S10 4.3l 4x4
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
Sounds like a good deal. Maybe it was his on the job training rate. Once he learns how to do it right he'll be able to charge more. You'd think anyone who knew what thy were doing would know that contact between O2 sensor wiring and the exhaust is a common ongoing problem that happens way too often and an exhaust pro should be the last person to not prevent it.
Whenever anyone on here asks about O2 issues we always tell them to look for rubbing or burned wires.
His dad owns the business, so he's been doing the work for many years. I'm not sure why he made that costly mistake (for me), but I will be talking to him about it. The deal comes from living in a small hick town in NC & that's the only way they can compete with the Big Box Stores. I guess it refers to an old saying, (you get what you pay for). Another lesson learned!!!

· Premium Member
1,814 Posts
Hey, Hickory isn't that much of a hick town - I've been there and there are a lot of other locations that are far more suitable/ 'worthy' to be categorized as "hick towns"! That's taking into account that the definition of hick town is rather indefinite, and relative to other towns (and some of them are even in NC). Maybe if the guy is decent, he'll at least have a mea culpa moment, or in an ideal world would provide a rebate of some sort (but I wouldn't hold my breath).

· Registered
!992 S10 4.3l 4x4
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
Hey, Hickory isn't that much of a hick town - I've been there and there are a lot of other locations that are far more suitable/ 'worthy' to be categorized as "hick towns"! That's taking into account that the definition of hick town is rather indefinite, and relative to other towns (and some of them are even in NC). Maybe if the guy is decent, he'll at least have a mea culpa moment, or in an ideal world would provide a rebate of some sort (but I wouldn't hold my breath).
I guess I should of clarified a little better. If you know about Hickory then I guess you've at least heard of Lenoir? That's the town that the business is in. It's Caldwell County, but most people I know call it Cobweb County, & that's not to far of an exaggeration. Lenoir definitely qualifies as a Hick Town.

· Premium Member
1,814 Posts
I guess I should of clarified a little better. If you know about Hickory then I guess you've at least heard of Lenoir? That's the town that the business is in. It's Caldwell County, but most people I know call it Cobweb County, & that's not to far of an exaggeration. Lenoir definitely qualifies as a Hick Town.
Yep, fairly familiar with that part of the state. Had in-laws that had a custom cabin near Grandfather Mtn./ Newland - now that's "Hicksville", but still really beautiful country.

· Registered
!992 S10 4.3l 4x4
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
My Grandparents lived in Foscoe Right across from the Seven Devils entrance. Their old place is a Winery now. A lot of fond childhood memories up there. Lee Propst was my Grandpa's name.

· Registered
!992 S10 4.3l 4x4
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
It certainly looks like you found the issue!
Are you OK for getting everything back together?
Good luck with your truck.
I guess I need your help once again. I have 2, single plug black wires that I can't find where they go. one of them is attached (taped) to the rubber hose going to the brake light switch. They both have the same type plug on them.

· Registered
21 Posts
Without seeing what the connectors look like they sound like ground wires. Almost always on S-10s the black wires are for ground. There is a common ground connection on the steering column mount sheet metal that connects about 6 ground wires. It's under the dash behind the instrument cluster.

41 - 60 of 61 Posts