S-10 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Been there Done it
7,825 Posts
Any idea what engine you want or what kind of performance you can afford?
I think the most bag for the buck on a 92 would be an LT1 92-94 (275 to 300hp) to stay OBD1. Wiring will get more involved if you go to 96 OBD2, but they are much easier to tune. Avoid anything from 95. The wiring across the board on 95 GM's is a clusterflock. Make sure you get the harness and ecm with the engine and all accessories. Forget truck engines unless you are building one from the bare block up.
Any earlier engines are pretty lame. GM was too busy trying to stay smog legal to make any real power.
Mounts, exhaust, cooling, fueling will be your major parts. The list of small stuff is endless. Transmission choice is also important. 4cyl ones won't work.

An LS engine will give you the most power for the most money and most work. It's debatable if they qualify as a sbc. They are referred to as gen3 or 4 or more, but they have nothing in common with the earlier sbc, except maybe 8 big holes in the block.
Something to think about is do you have the garage or barn space to do this in? And the tools needed? A bit of auto repair experience helps a bunch.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Any idea what engine you want or what kind of performance you can afford?
I think the most bag for the buck on a 92 would be an LT1 92-94 (275 to 300hp) to stay OBD1. Wiring will get more involved if you go to 96 OBD2, but they are much easier to tune. Avoid anything from 95. The wiring across the board on 95 GM's is a clusterflock. Make sure you get the harness and ecm with the engine and all accessories. Forget truck engines unless you are building one from the bare block up.
Any earlier engines are pretty lame. GM was too busy trying to stay smog legal to make any real power.
Mounts, exhaust, cooling, fueling will be your major parts. The list of small stuff is endless. Transmission choice is also important. 4cyl ones won't work.

An LS engine will give you the most power for the most money and most work. It's debatable if they qualify as a sbc. They are referred to as gen3 or 4 or more, but they have nothing in common with the earlier sbc, except maybe 8 big holes in the block.
Something to think about is do you have the garage or barn space to do this in? And the tools needed? A bit of auto repair experience helps a bunch.
I've got a lot of space to work with in my garage and I also have an entire parking lot on my property. I'm sure I have most of the tools I need for the swap, but I'm always looking for an excuse to buy more. I took about 2 years of automotive classes as well but this will be my first engine swap. I'm hoping to keep the budget around 2,000. I know I've also got to replace the rear end. What transmission would you recommend?

·
Been there Done it
7,825 Posts
You don't necessarily need to replace the rear end. Camaros and other GM cars ran 350's with the 7.5/.6 rear end with out a lot of problems. When you add slicks or repeatedly do burn outs is when it becomes an issue.
A built 700R4 since it's a 92 or an NV3500 or WC T5 should work on the street. If you plan to race it you'll spend more than your $2K for a T56 Magnum or a stage 3 TH400.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You don't necessarily need to replace the rear end. Camaros and other GM cars ran 350's with the 7.5/.6 rear end with out a lot of problems. When you add slicks or repeatedly do burn outs is when it becomes an issue.
A built 700R4 since it's a 92 or an NV3500 or WC T5 should work on the street. If you plan to race it you'll spend more than your $2K for a T56 Magnum or a stage 3 TH400.
Alright, thanks! This has been very helpful. Any other suggestions for further down the road? Planning on still modifying it periodically after I do the swap

·
Registered
175 Posts
What you want truck to be further down the road would be helpful now to plan ahead. How much power, use, computer or carb. If your doing all the work and building $2000.00 can be do able.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What you want truck to be further down the road would be helpful now to plan ahead. How much power, use, computer or carb. If your doing all the work and building $2000.00 can be do able.
Just enough power to be fun, I've got a daily driver that gets 30mpg so I'm just hoping to show off a little while using it as a learning experience, and I'd probably do a carb. I'm hoping to get this project started by summer. Already setting aside money to start the swap

·
Registered
175 Posts
I would suggest collecting all your necessary parts before getting into it. Sounds like what ever engine you use will make you happy. As said above the 7.5 should handle it and keep an eye out for an S-series 8.5.

s10 eng.JPG

1 - 9 of 9 Posts