S-10 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently I had a baffle break off inside the stock muffler on my 92 4.3 TBI, so decided it would be a good time to redo the exhaust how I’d like it.

I like the loud but deep sound of a Flowmaster 40, was thinking of getting a stainless muffler with dual outs going to 2 chrome tips out each side of the hitch which I like the look of. I had a couple questions for more exhaust savvy guys:

1. Do you recommend keeping the cat or getting rid of it? I have no emissions to worry about so that is not a factor. I do not care about a few hp either way, but would rather not lose any gas mileage.

2. Do you think butt-type band clamps with sealant would hold up well, or do you recommend having a muffler shop weld it up if I give them the new muffler?

3. I was talking with one of my coworkers who used to work at a muffler shop, he remembered they had a sealant that cured so it had some stretch and held up better than muffler cement. Does anyone know what this could be? I can’t find anything similar online and he didn’t remember the name, just that it was black and they used it in slip joints.

·
Lifelong S-10 Owner
476 Posts
Run it all 2.5" alluminized pipe and have it all welded together to prevent leaks and twists in the pipes that could rattle. Leave the catalytic convertor alone unless you replace it with a new efficiency one. If you want some noise consider running without a muffler as that sounds pretty good on that truck. Or a long CherryBomb glasspack will give it a smooth rumble without the rasp.

·
B4U Task Force Admin
24,203 Posts
You can say that about any performance/aftermarket-non stock muffler. Any muffler other than stock drones at some point.

·
the new guy
906 Posts
put a borla on it. it sounds good on both of the kids bmws, when I had it on my 98 2.2, and when I asked this dude what he had on his car and he said borla.

that is what made me get a borla was the dude's grand marquis at the gas station. it sounded so sweet

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I ended up having a local muffler shop weld in a flowmaster 40 going out to dual tips. A little pricy but it looks and sounds great, and I don’t have to worry about any part of the exhaust falling off on the highway. Very pleased
320E2415-44DA-4B4D-856B-58C4B146D253.jpeg

·
Old Fart
3,698 Posts
I bought a kit on eBay that was complete and the same set up you wanted only a Super 44 muffler and I have no drone and great deep tone. I did swap the guillotine clamps for overlap band clamps for a better seal. I used to own semi-tractors and always used band clamps on them.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Band clamps work ok if the pipe joints are expanded so they slip together, but I wouldn't use anything that just butts the ends together. Welding, of course, is far superior to clamps of any kind.

Personally, I love the sound of Flowmasters, but they're not for everybody. As far as the catalytic converter is concerned, I would leave it on. It doesn't really have any negative effects, and we all like clean air.

·
Old Fart
3,698 Posts
Band clamps work ok if the pipe joints are expanded so they slip together, but I wouldn't use anything that just butts the ends together. Welding, of course, is far superior to clamps of any kind.

Personally, I love the sound of Flowmasters, but they're not for everybody. As far as the catalytic converter is concerned, I would leave it on. It doesn't really have any negative effects, and we all like clean air.
That is what I was trying to say and I forgot to mention the same about the converter.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts