S-10 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having problems restarting the engine after it's only been off a few minutes. It starts fine if it's been sitting overnight and runs like a champ when I do get it running, but if it's just been a little bit (like pumping gas) it just keeps cranking on the starter.

My guess is it's flooded? If so how do I fix that...new injector?

When (if?) I get home I'll take the plugs out to see if they're wet, but it's sitting down the street in a gas stationg parking lot for the day.

The problem just started up after I replaced plugs and wires. Any other suggestions welcome.

·
Registered
8,782 Posts
check for spark.

pull a plug and see if it is wet after cranking.....

This may sound stupid, but did you hold the throttle WOT when cranking for flood clear mode?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I pulled plugs last night and they didn't look wet. The plug connectors came off of the wires on 2 of them though, so I replaced all the wires...again. Still the same problem this morning when I tried to restart in the parking lot. May pick up an extra spark plug this weekend to check for spark.

I think I've tried just about everything as far as pedal application while cranking, but is there a specific sequence for the ECU to recognize flood clear mode?

·
Registered
8,782 Posts
Hold pedal to floor, crank.....

If the plugs are dry when cranking over, I would suspect you arent getting fuel. Testing fuel pressure would be a good idea, as well as signal to the injector (red wire is 12v ignition feed, blue is ground pulse from ECM).

Will it fire up with a shot of carb cleaner down the TBI?

Check the wiring on the injector.....

·
i saw what you did there!
3,573 Posts
its either dying FP or dying ICM

one or the other

or a loose wire connection to either system somewhere

but dont suspect wiring over components

ever

unless youve ruled out all components

ICM's like to fail when warm or hot only

almost always

but fine when cold

same with crank sensors etc

FP's are odd and can be failed at any time but usually when theyre dead then theyre dead for good, cold or hot

check your FP relay try another one thats knowno to be good

check for 12 volts in FP wire its pink wire or tan wire under hood driver side if its the 2.5L engine older style truck

theres two wires they both run to FP

one is fuel level and other is FP

i forgot which colro is for which, i had an 88 with 2.5L a couple months ago and i had to run a new FP wire and i forgot if it was the tan or the pink now.,

it would not start evne with new FP put in it

i ran a new FP wire laong from rail and that was it, fired right up fixed it

wire was dead somewhere along frame rail

does the FP run when you turn key to run position

if not then you got bad FP, or FP relay, or frame wire to FP

·
Registered
8,782 Posts
Having problems restarting the engine after it's only been off a few minutes. It starts fine if it's been sitting overnight and runs like a champ when I do get it running, but if it's just been a little bit (like pumping gas) it just keeps cranking on the starter.

My guess is it's flooded? If so how do I fix that...new injector?

When (if?) I get home I'll take the plugs out to see if they're wet, but it's sitting down the street in a gas stationg parking lot for the day.

The problem just started up after I replaced plugs and wires. Any other suggestions welcome.
I would suspect something loose.......

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, I hear the fuel pump run. I was able to start it up less than a minute after my drive home yesterday. Still planning on picking up a spare plug tomorrow to check for spark.

The fact that it's so intermittent makes me fear the worst...electrical. :rant:

·
Registered
8,782 Posts
Let it idle, then start wiggling wires....

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It's been a while, but I wanted to make sure my solution worked through some summer months before posting.

I ended up getting the ICM since it seemed like the cheapest option to try, and when I took off the distributor cap the contact points inside looked worn and/or had some white buildup on them; I'm guessing there was some water intrusion at one point. So for an extra $1.50 I bought a new cap and put that on at the same time.

Starts up every time and even seems to be idling better, so it seems like one or both of those were contributing causes. Either way, I'm in for less than $20 on the fix and once again running like a tank!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts