S-10 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Engine is in my Jeep CJ7.

Jeep drive train specs in case you need to know.
- TH350 auto trans w/ stock converter (don't know the stall)
- Dana 300 transfercase with 4:1 gears
- Dana 60 / 14 bolt axles with 5.38 gears
- 42" Iroks at 108" wheelbase
- guess it weighs around 4500 lbs.

I want more power and I can't fit a V8 because of modifications I have done to the front frame. I also want to try to keep from adding more weight. I bought the engine new in '05 and it doesn't have many miles or hours on it. What I have so far:

- re-manufactured long block bored .030"
- Advance Adapters tube headers
- 2.5" true dual exhaust, no crossover or cats, 12" hushpower mufflers
- Airaid TBI spacer and intake
- Stock chip tune
- electric fan

Looking to get the best bang for the buck. Here is what I want to do, I just need to know good sources and what part numbers I need to get? Is there a good one stop shop to get everything at that has experience with these motors and can offer advice?

- 96+ Vortec heads with roller rockers ??? (is there a place i can buy a set and bolt on to my motor that won't break the bank?)
- Edelbrock 2114 intake with TBI adapter
- Cam, lifters, rods, springs, etc ??? (I have no clue, is this a good cam, is there a better choice? http://www.compcams.com/Company/CC/cam-specs/Details.aspx?csid=563&sb=2)
- tuned chip ??? (is there anyone local to me for this around Lafayette, LA)
- should I get a different stall converter since I am changing the cam, what stall?

Any suggestions on what you would do? Can this be done for around $1000?

Thanks in advance for your help! :racing:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Not a very talkative group I guess?

I have done a lot of searching on this site and others. I'm just looking for some more specific information.

Any help would be appreciated. Even a "get off our S-10 forum with your big Jeep" would be better than nothing... :haha:

·
goin broke but n style
12,942 Posts
adding vortec heads will yield more hp/tq.
you will have to get a vortec edelbrock mani and a TBI adaptor. This will also add power.

If your looking for a cam call comp and ask them. a custom cam would better suit your needs. they will make a high torque cam for ya. In your situation hp really means nothing, you need max torque.

I just helped put a 100k mile stock cpi engine in a rock crawler with 44 swampers and frt/rear rockwell axles. it spins the sh*t out of those tires.

you can even use the cpi heads. they flow little better than the TBI heads you have now.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Not worth the money on the stroker kit, really.

Your plan in the top of the thread sounds pretty good, but I would just get your cam re-ground by comp, will cost notably less and they can get the lift and duration every bit as high as their off the shelf cams.

·
Older Than Dirt
402 Posts
(drool) Awesome ride Torquefreak. If you considered a $troker, maybe would you consider PFI and a turbo? That would net you big torque gains. GM worked it out for you hardware wise, with the turbo 4.3s in 1991-1992 Syclones and Typhoons. A little tuning and you be hangin on. Not that your aren't now. Did I mention that's a cool ride?
ArtosDracon's cam suggestion would be less power gain, but a lot less work too. It boils down to how much more power you want..
Mike

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
The turbo would be a GREAT power gain, and notably more work, yes, but the stroker kit is a whole other story. Did you notice that it's not a full .25" stroke kit? It takes you from the stock 262 to a whopping 272 for $1500. That's almost a whole 4% increase in displacement, for $1500 and with no other mods, I would be shocked if you got a full 4% increase in torque or horsepower out of it.

·
WICKED 6 RACING
2,189 Posts
Artos is right their stroker kit is not worth it. They under grind a factory crank and give you 6 inch rods that have been shaved down to fit. I called them one time to find out what they would hold power wise and was told only 400HP. If I'm gonna get a crank I'd call crower. 2500 bucks made to the stroke of your choice and good for more ponies then 99% on here would ever consider making.

·
DoYouLikeItHere
98 Posts
Hi There.
adding an edelbrock 2114 and a tbi adapter is a great idea.
I've heard if shopping for vortec heads to get the 2000 or newer cuz the studs are thinner and so, easier to modify to screw in studs for bigger ponies.
Also, Look for a TBI unit from a GM 454. Has bigger bores and breathes easier. If your eng block is a non balancer shaft style, it will be easy to find any cam you like. If its a balancer shaft, you'll have less choices.

Of course a turbo would be the cherry on top!
I wouldnt spend a ton on a stroker unless I was building one from scratch, then I'd consider it's cost vs worth.

Oh Ya, almost forgot. You have a dual exhaust, but I've heard you get better torque from that if there is a crossover pipe in it.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Be careful with the 454 TBI's they use a different TPS and a different IAC valve so you will have to re-wire the IAC and reprogram for the different TPS and IAC.

The 4.3L, 5.0L and 5.7L all used the same TBI unit with different injectors. On the 4.3L it uses combined runner intake to allow better flow, on the 5.0L and 5.7 they actually used divorced runner intakes to make more torque and help with emissions. Essentially the 4.3L is allowed to breathe through both bores of the throttle body, the V8s were limited to one, you're well ahead of the game right off the bat. With the size of the 2114 intake, you're in good shape, bored out stock TBI isn't necessary below 300hp, slightly, slightly advantageous below 400hp, and necessary above.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.