S-10 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
1991 S10 Ext Cab 4x4
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's been 10 years since I traded in my Gen 1 Blazer on a new car. For 10 years I have wanted another Generation 1 S-10. In the last 5 years I have searched them on the net from time to time. The bug bit me again in November and I spotted this 91 in poor condition for $600. Drove by it for 2 weeks making my mind up and took the leap. I wanted an S-10 Exended cab 4x4 to fix up.

For 2010 I just plan to get her back on the road in good condition. I need new fenders and inner fenders, doors and a box or new sides for my box.
A few photos...

·
1991 S10 Ext Cab 4x4
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. I think it was a pretty good deal. I do have my hands full with some problems though. I do have a gas leak from the hoses going into the fuel tank. The engine blows smoke. Tilt steering column is so loose it’s ready to fall off. The box is pretty rusty. Still want to do some tests to see what kind of condition it really in. Try to get some pics of this on here.

At first I’m looking to get this truck in good condition to drive around. Second I really want to do a stock restoration. Third maybe down the road install a fuel injected V8 with A/C cruise control and all the options. Kinda like the day it was new but with a V8 power plant appearing stock from the factory.

I have spent many days now at the salvage yard here in Pa looking for any part I need. Since they are cheap I want to get them now before the yards start crushing the cars. The Cash For Clunkers program did wonders to get first gen S-10’s into the salvage yard. There must be 50 or so blazers and Jimmy’s there for me to pick from.

I’ll get some pictures of my findings at the salvage yards.

42,039 Posts
try doin a oil change and adding sum restore it comes in a silver can and u can get it at the auto parts stores and just replace them hoses they're probably dry rotted er sumthin. then drive it like u stole it if ur just gonna put a small block in it down the line. and they do sell repair kits for the wobbly tilt column ur describing, it usually happens when sumone uses the steering wheel to help them get out for years. shermanparts.com sold em for my 90 firebird but i don't know if theres a part number for s10's but the columns are almost identical so u could probably get the one for the bird and it would do the trick but you do have to take the column apart and it is a pain in the ass lol good luck

·
1991 S10 Ext Cab 4x4
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Fixing a gas leak. Taking off the box to see what condition it's in and get to the fuel tank.

Here is the problem. I ordered a fuel tank and sending unit. Should have the leak wraped up soon.

Here is some pics of the box and frame condition

Anybody know where I can get replacement beams for the rusted ones on the bottom of the box?

·
1991 S10 Ext Cab 4x4
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Been busy in my free time at the local salvage yard picking up goodies. Here is a little of what I came home with.

A cheap set of 4x4 rims to use while working on the truck. The dash is part of the whole interior to change the color from red to charcoal. I found a nice pair of fenders nearly new. Slider window needs paint on the trim. Still more to pick up. Hard work pulling all those parts and soar hands.
jojo:)

·
1991 S10 Ext Cab 4x4
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The "Cash for Clunkers" program acorss the nation has really brought in a lot of good cars & trucks to my local salvage yard. There must be about 60 first Generation blazers to pick parts from. I only see about a dozen or so S10 pickups though....

·
1991 S10 Ext Cab 4x4
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
I decided to get rid of the red interior. I’ve been collecting all the gray interior components I can find from the salvage yards. The typical story is a great passenger seat and a worn out ripped driver’s seat. I soon came across a 94 4-door Blazer with only 58,000miles on it. The interior was like new, even the carpet. These are the seats I bought from that vehicle, for $50 bucks / pair. I had to swap out the hinges and tracks as to allow the seats to lean forward for “behind the seat” access. These seats are powered as well so I will have to run power wires soon. I put these seats in to test them out and now I like them too much to take out. I still need to get the 2 door plastic hindge covers in black. Had to use the red ones until then.

·
1991 S10 Ext Cab 4x4
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Clean little truck....Nice finds on the parts also
Thanks, but this truck is pretty old. Rust is just starting in the normal places. I didn't think I'd have so much body work to do but looks like I need a new box, cab corners, rockers and doors. Just want to get her going so I can get it inspected. All I have been doing in my off time is hitting the salvage yard to collect parts. Next year I'll have a lot of catching up to do putting all the parts on.

Things I need to fix before the real restoratoin starts are: Loose tilt steering wheel, valve seals?, shocks, new tires, complete exhaust and a new box...

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
If i were you, I would have replaced the fuel lines if they looked rusted at all while i was putting a new tank in, and you should coat the tank in something like por-15 or zerorust to protect it from rust, oh and clean up and paint the frame while ur at it lol. Good work and good project so far though! Good luck!

·
1991 S10 Ext Cab 4x4
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'd like to do the frame now but my winter is scheduled for work on my house. I don't think I'll be doing too much on the s10 over winter due to this. My immediate goal is to get this thing running and inspected as to drive a little this winter (needing a pickup). I do have ambitions to take off the cab, motor and box and start with the frame and go from their. :)

·
Hardcore 1st Gen'r
2,869 Posts
i've been looking for a decent running 91-93 ex-cab 4x4 for about 8 months now here locally. i've located about 4 trucks that are excab and 4 wheel drive but they all have been pre 91 models and trashed with super high mileage. cool project you got going:tup:

1 - 20 of 81 Posts